GO!

Supplements when feeding raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 12:18pm PST 
Hello, I am new to the forum and fairly new to the raw diet. I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed already. I have a 5 year old male Dobermann who is a Schutzhund dog, and an 8 month old female Caucasian Ovcharka. I get frozen blocks of ground chicken backs and necks and frozen mixture of whole fish/whole chicken/turkey liver and eggs which is their main source of meat. To the meat I add fruits/veggies (mixed frozen pureed) cottage cheese, yogurt, eggs and basically anything that i can find that is on sale (i dont add these into every single meal but alternate between ingredients). In addition i have a supply of meaty beef bones, and sometimes will give them beef, lamb, whole chicken, rabbit and pork as well as any left overs i may have. Occasionally I will add cod liver oil and kelp.

My question is, do I need to add any supplements to their diets?
Thanks
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 1:15pm PST 
My poor starving 12.5 year old dog only gets 1.5% of his actual weight per day [to prevent a reoccurrence of table top back and loss of waist] and his diet is a bit low in magnesium, manganese, zinc, vitamin E and omega 3 so he gets about 10% tripe over time, a little bit of zinc powder [proteinate I think] most days, a vitamin E and fish oil capsule every couple of days. Most dogs here are fine with some vitamin E and fish oil if they don't eat actual fish.

Evaluate what you are feeding. The basic 'recipe' is 80% meat, 10% bone encased in meat, 5% liver and 5% other organ such as kidney/spleen/eye/brain/thymus. It sounds like you are feeding a whole lot of bone and not much organ. The whole animals if they have blood and guts and all that are about right but necks and backs are about half bone.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 9:46am PST 
Do you give liver? if so I'd probably not give cod liver oil as you don't want to give too much vitamin a..

I'd rather give liver then cod liver oil as the animal liver is good snack and stuff.

Fish or salmon oil is good to give.

Do you give kidneys? They're good to give too.

Heart or gizzards are yummy add ins too.

Joint supplements are good to give if the dog needs it or as a preventive.
[notify]