GO!

Does Raw Food amplify behaviours?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Lily and- Moira

Happy Birthday- to us!!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 10:58pm PST 
I've noticed a change in behavior - a calmer dog. Lily doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body as long as Moira isn't threatened. Moira was made reactive by the attack of a GSH, not raw food, but she doesn't have a very serious case. My sweet furgirls are still sweet no matter how much raw they are fed.
[notify]
Zoe

Take me to the- River!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:45am PST 
I was told by so many people that my dogs would become more hyper and violent feeding raw and it simply has not happened. We feed alot of vension and my dogs have not started chasing deer.big grin They are not violent toward each other or anyone else. I have a grandchild and they are both completely submissive to her, no licking her, no guarding of toys, no anxiety if she accidently falls on them.applause I think a lot of what people want to blame on raw is training.
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 10:08am PST 
The only change in behaviour I've noticed is that for the better! Bella became a lot less overly hyper when I switched her to raw which is one of the reasons I've decided to try and train her as my service dog again. I've never heard proof of any bad behaviours being amplified or created by raw. I've heard some cases, but there was always a reason behind it. IE: Dog pulls more on leash after starting raw, but it was because the owners started letting the dog get away with pulling. It wasn't the raw, it was other causes.
[notify]

Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 12:00am PST 
We have been feeding Crash RAW since 4 months so I'm not sure if any of his behaviors are due to his diet.
But he is a Pointer afraid of Birds, He did not bark at all until we adopted a Blue Tick Coonhound when he was about 3 years old! BOL! dog He does not lick (yeah) And he does not point. shrug

He is a bit aggressive with his food but only around other dogs.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 7:59am PST 
No. Poor training and lack of exercise amplify bad behaviors. So when a yuppie dog owner hops on the raw band wagon because it's expensive and trendy and "best," and their once fat dog, sluggish from carb overload is suddenly losing weight and feeling great... Yeah, they can appear to have transformed into an unholy terror. If the owner doesn't come up to the task of keeping a healthy, active dog's mind and body stimulated then some pretty serious behavior issues can come up. That's hardly the fault of a raw diet.

It sucks, but it happens all the time. These are the people who go from Pedigree to raw, decide it "isn't working" for vague and unspecific reasons and go back to Iams or some other junk. I'm convinced a significant portion of 9 - 5 pet owners who have a family dog because it's just the thing to do intentionally keep their dog fat so they're lazier.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 8:12am PST 
The only "behavior" that can really be attributed directly to raw/amplified by switching to raw is resource guarding in some dogs. Even then, that is a behavioral issue that can be worked through with some training. Correlation =/= causation.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 10:55am PST 
Ember makes a good point. I've actually seen someone say they stopped feeding raw because it gave their dog "too much energy". I guess it's easier to suppress the dog's natural energy levels than to exercises it properly confused I wouldn't be surprised, OP, if your client's dogs just became more energetic on raw, so it seemed like their unaddressed behavioral problems got worse.
[notify]
Eduardo

Mr. Personality

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 5:48am PST 
Well, I know that Eduardo will guard a piece of raw meat or bone with his life! He has always been a huge barker, and that hasn’t changed. I doubt that barking has anything to with feeding a raw diet, unless your dog was protein starved and now has more energy! Eduardo has had only one fight with another dog that happened when our neighbor’s dog that I was watching at the time decided to try to take his bowl of duck gizzards. The other dog was over twice his size and had Eduardo on his back, but he refused to give up those gizzards! I broke them up, scolded my neighbor’s dog, and hand fed Eduardo his duck gizzards. Other than guarding of their food, raw is not going to change a dog’s behavior. Eduardo is not normally food aggressive unless another dog comes right into his face and has a go for his food. But, he has been on raw since he was 7 weeks old, so this is the dog I know! He loves to bark at everything and will guard his food with his life, but that’s pretty much normal dog behavior!
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 3:48pm PST 
I guess it's easier to suppress the dog's natural energy levels than to exercises it properly

What a sad, sad truth confused

Lets blame all of the dog's problems on the raw diet... easier than blaming one's self for being an idiot.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2