GO!

Adjusting food intake in a colder climate?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Ellie, CGC

Cookies?!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 7:11pm PST 
Hello! So Ellie and I will be traveling to Iowa next Monday for 10 days. I feed Stella and Chewies pre made raw as it is the lowest calorie of the premade. Usually I look for higher calorie things but Ellie needs to lose about a pound more and we've been on a weight loss journey for a few months now. Anywho, she normally gets 2 small patties (3 ounces) per meal mixed with salmon oil and Fruitables Weight Loss Pumpkin. In the evening with her food, she gets some supplements like digestive enzymes, probiotics, diatomaceous earth, and Inflight coat supplement. But it only works out to 6 ounces of raw per day! This seems like a very small portion but it has been approved by my holistic vet and we've been n this routine for quite a bit now with no muscle wasting or anything of the sort. She also runs with me for a solid 2 miles a day, and we hike for about an hour at least once a week.

But this is all in Arizona where it's still 70 in December. I'm expecting it to get down in the 10-20 in Iowa. I have the appropriate booties and jacket for her, but I need to figure out if I should increase her feeding. How much do you increase? Is it a percentage? She will probably be just as active if not more so in Iowa with me. Thanks for the help!
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 7:31pm PST 
We live in Wisconsin and I've honestly never thought to increase Duke's food in the winter. And we are also very active. Hmm...maybe I should! I do feed him a few ounces of extra something if we've taken a long winter walk or gone snow-shoeing, but I never get concerned with percentages.

They only thing I do differently in winter is feed venison. It is a "warming" food in Traditional Chinese Medicine.

I guess I would just be careful with feeding too much so you don't end up with a case of the splats. I don't know how Ellie rides in the car (or airplane), but traveling can be very stressful. That alone is enough to cause GI upset. Duke travels with me a lot and I actually tend to decrease his food a bit when are out of our normal routine.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 4:56am PST 
I live in Buffalo...it's been in the 30's and 40's here, but will get a bit colder in Jan and Feb. I do not alter my dogs' diet in the winter. They spend time playing outdoors but they still live and sleep inside where it is heated, so they don't really require diet change. If anything I feed more in the summer because they are more active then.
[notify]

Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 5:45am PST 
Depends on the dog's coat thickness and activity level. We always increased the performance greyhounds' caloric intake for the winter. Their weight was kept so close to the margin that it would have dropped too rapidly otherwise. They have thin coats.

My dog has a thicker coat and she's black, so we can actually hike longer in the winter than the summer, so her calories go up a bit in winter also. She's already started increasing on her own. It's not a lot, just enough to be noticeable. She gets a bit more meat and fat in the colder months, but her weight always remains steady, so she's burning it.
[notify]
Ikan

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 8:43am PST 
I live in Iowa, and I have always given my dogs a bit more to eat in the winter. Mine have short hair , and then need something extra to keep them warm. Mine are still out playing and running in the back yard when it is snowing and the temps are low. If they gain a couple of pounds, they usually take it off fast when it gets warmer.
[notify]