GO!

Another Newbie Questions: Chicken Leg Quarters

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 1:14pm PST 
Day 2: Started with chicken backs (dinner last night and breakfast this morning). Plan to next add chicken leg quarters. Purchased some today; they weigh about a pound each. If I am aiming to feed ~20 ounces per day, do I give her the 16 ounce leg quarter for one meal and then just 4 ounces of something else for the other meal? Or do I try to cut the leg quarter in half? I would have to purchase a meat cleaver or something, because I currently don't have anything that could cut through it. I'm concerned that if I half it the pieces could become chocking hazard. What to do?
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 7:36pm PST 
Yeah you could do that feed quarter then next meal give some boneless and maybe try a bit of gizzards with boneless once the dog is getting more used to the diet?

Depends on the dog.

I can feed Saya half a quarter and then give other half next day.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 12:25pm PST 
dang! how big is your dog?
my dog eats 3-4 oz a day in one meal.

one meal a day is something she had to adjust to. she had hunger pukes for a bit, but she's fine now. and it works better for me because her meals are so small I get a lot of meals out of a tray of meat and feeding twice a day was twice the preparing work. So one meal a day.

If the dog is just starting raw.. you might need to remove the skin.
[notify]

Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 1:32pm PST 
Unless you're feeding a growing pup, I prefer feeding one meal a day, plus a snack if your dog isn't used to a once a day schedule.

If you would rather feed 2x a day, but don't want to cut up the chicken quarters you could buy thighs and/or drumsticks individually. I usually like buying thighs because they are meatier, with slightly less bone, although they also have more skin/fat, but that can be trimmed off if needed.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 7:25pm PST 
My dog is 52 pounds, so 20 ounces per day seems right(?). I agree it seems like a lot, so we're going to weigh her weekly (at least for a while).

I like the idea of one meal and a snack. Thanks for the feedback!
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:26am PST 
My dog is 50 lbs and one leg quarter is enough for a day's food. I usually feed the whole thing, and follow up the next day with boneless meat and organ meal (you can add the organ as your dog gets used to the diet.)

Often I feed a drum for breakfast and a piece of boneless meat for dinner too.
[notify]
Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 11:25am PST 
I feel like I could eat a huge meal at breakfast and would be hungry at night. So even if you can feed once a day why not feed twice?

Is it OK to cut the leg quarters or other bones if they are more than you want to feed at that time?
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 11:50am PST 
Is it OK to cut the leg quarters or other bones if they are more than you want to feed at that time?

I don't see why not- I cut up turkey necks all the time- as long as they still have plenty of meat attached and are not small enough to be a choking hazard.

As for 1x vs. 2x a day feeding- it's just a personal preference. IMO feeding 1x a day more closely mimics the gorge/fast which is more natural for a carnivore.
[notify]
Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 12:35pm PST 
My boys are 24kg (53 pound), and eat 600-750g (21-27 ounces) per day, but they are very young active dogs and one is building a lot of muscle.
We feed twice a day, but I am considering switching to once a day so I could feed larger bits. Feeding once a day would save you chopping the chicken quarter.
Hope this helps
[notify]
Hadley

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 4:12pm PST 
My understanding is it's less taxing on the body over time to only have to digest on meal a day. If you feed two it has to work twice a day. It might boil down to personal preference. I feed once a day and my pack is fine with it. We feed 8 ounces a day and I would have to make the cuts way too small if we went to twice a day. I've done all kinds of feedings, though. I've done gorging for a few days and then a couple days off all together. I also give mine one day off from food all together each month, no gorge meal beforehand, and give them homemade bone broth that day. Just do whatevery you're most comfortable with and your dogs does well with.

Edited by author Thu Dec 13, '12 4:13pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2