GO!

Rabbit questions

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Danika &- Maggie

The Play Girls

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 11:13am PST 
I have a few questions about feeding rabbit pieces. First, I have no idea as to the percentage of bone in rabbit parts or whole rabbit. Anyone know? The rabbit came with liver, kidneys and heart. I'm assuming I can give these to my dogs?

Since my dogs have never had it before, do I need to introduce the meat in small amounts? They eat beef, pork, turkey, chicken, and fish like there is no tommorow...
[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 12:55pm PST 
http://puppybutt.weebly.com/uploads/7/6/9/2/7692088/beginners_guide_ to_prey_model_raw_rv.5.0.pdf

The guide above has bone percentages for different animals, including rabbit.
[notify]
Danika &- Maggie

The Play Girls

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 1:14pm PST 
Perfect! Thank you!
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 6:10pm PST 
Saya has had rabbit pieces gotten it from the butcher all gutted and dressed..

Saya enjoyed it. She is 20lbs she got a thigh and some boneless with it for a days meal..

Could give some of the meat with some meals or half the bone in part of the rabbit to get the dog used to it?

I'm not sure I just gave it to Saya since she has a iron gut not all dogs do though. If it has bone I'd think it'd help keep poop firm.
[notify]
Danika &- Maggie

The Play Girls

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 10:59am PST 
Yeah, Saya, I think that's a good idea. I'm thinking my girls should be alright with it, but I'd hate to make them sick. The bone content in rabbits seems to be a little lower than chicken, which is why I'm trying it since my three dogs are between 8 and 16 lbs.

They're having beef ribs with some side meat tonight, so I think I'll slip in some rabbit with that.

If the poop looks good, hopefully they'll be ready for a rabbit meal.

Thanks!
[notify]