GO!

Do I cut up boneless meat into chunks or give it whole?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 10:01am PST 
After much research, I am starting our APBT on a raw diet with dinner tonight (husband a little iffy on this). Hoping it will help with skin allergies. Starting with chicken, but once I add in the boneless cuts of meat, do I have to cut them into chunks or can I give it to her whole?

This forum has been an AWESOME source of information. Thank you!
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 10:39am PST 
Depends on the dog I feed whole boneless pieces just fine. I portion items into meal sizes or snack sizes and feed accordingly.

I've bought stew meat when on sale before no issue. If the dog is a gulper feeding the boneless frozen or semi frozen helps the dog slow down on eating.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 11:19am PST 
Chunks will go down whole. I think dogs digest meat better if there are some tooth holes in them, especially dogs new to fresh food. I want meat to either be smaller than the diameter of the esophagus so it goes down okay or much larger than the dog's gape so he has to rip and tear to get it down. Max will gulp down a meal sized chunk. Granted, his meals are kind of small, only gets 8 ounces of meat per day but that is still the size of my fist. What I do is cut part way through to make a Z or W shape. That makes the chunk too unwieldy to swallow whole and he has to put some tooth holes in it to get it down his throat. When I started new proteins I preferred to offer strip shaped bits rather than chunks as well.
[notify]

Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 11:36am PST 
Know your dog. I have to cut boneless meat up in chunks for Savannah because she can swallow (or will try to swallow) really large chunks, and then cough them back up. Not ideal!

Since she mostly gets bone in, I indulge her once in a while with some diced up meat. It won't do the job of cleaning her teeth, but it isn't an everyday thing.

My little girls will tackle big chunks and sit and chew on them. But Savvy figures if it can be swallowed whole, then all the better.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 12:26pm PST 
As has been said, it will vary from dog to dog. Personally I think it's ideal to leave meals as natural as possible. Big pieces of meat offer more of a physical and mental workout, and do more to clean teeth, but of course the dog actually has to chew to get those benefits. If your dog is a gulper and eats with as little chewing as possible, small pieces will probably be better.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 1:03pm PST 
Sounds like there isn't just one right way, so when the time comes I'll try the big chunk and watch to make sure she takes the time pull it apart. She isn't very food-focused, and definitely not a gulper.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 1:29pm PST 
The little girls pick up a large chunk and shift it to their back teeth and chew. Samoa puts his down and yanks bits off, holding it with his feet. Savvy just hoovers it all up, so have to watch her.

I think you will find it helps with allergies. That is why we started with it in the first place.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '12 7:46pm PST 
I feed it whole, but only if it's frozen. Otherwise Noah will swallow an 8 oz chicken breast whole if it's thawed.
[notify]