GO!

Giardia from PMR?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 7:12pm PST 
My puppy had and was treated for giardia. I'm wondering if she got it from licking the food bowls after the big dogs had finished their raw meals? This is one of the reasons why I'm hesitant to put them back on raw.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 10:36pm PST 
Giardia cysts are shed via feces. Your puppy could be getting infected anywhere in the environment.

Raw food is not the problem.

Chance had several bouts of giardia as a puppy/young adult. The giardia infections stopped when we took down the bird feeders in the backyard.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 8:23am PST 
Chance was a bird poo eater? Or squirrel since they like bird seeds..

Saya ate a bird poo once yuck luckily she was OK. She no longer does it after I kept telling her to leave it she was like I give up I won't eat the stuff.. lol

Yeah giardia comes from feces of animals that has giargia. Can be in water too if animal pooped in it or something.

I think beaver is prone to having giardia..
[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 9:31am PST 
I was always taught that giardia most frequently came from infected water sources (streams, lakes, etc).
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:38pm PST 
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex736

Giardia indeed comes from feces of infected animals, and it can be spread by water sources that have been contaminated with infected feces.

Eating infected poop or drinking water that has come in contact with infected poop is the primary way to spread it.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:12pm PST 
Not a bird poop eater but she liked to hang out under the feeders. naughty

The whole Montana town hubby was from ended up with giardia when one of the *wooden* water pipes for the town's drinking water cracked and infected feces in a cow pasture got into the water supply.
Just one of the reasons I avoid drinking the local water there! That and minnows in the house water filters during spring runoff!

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '12 4:17pm PST

[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 7:06am PST 
Minnows in tap water??!! eek That is so gross...
[notify]