GO!

Deer meat

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Willow

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 2:49pm PST 
I just scored a lot of 2011 ground deer meat with suet.
I was told suet was just fat added to the deer meat, is that correct and is this ok for the dogs?
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 3:15pm PST 
As with all wild raw meats, I'd make sure the meat has been deep frozen for at least 3 weeks or so before feeding it, as a precaution against parasites. Since it's from 2011, it should be okay in that regard.

So it's raw ground deer suet? Suet is fat (beef fat, usually) often added to ground game meat to improve the flavor and texture because it is so naturally lean. This is done for human purposes. I would be curious just how fatty the person made the ground deer by adding the suet, just in case it might make your dog sick. I wouldn't feed a whole bunch at once just in case it's too fatty. Maybe try giving a little bit at first to see how your dog tolerates it? Hopefully someone else has some advice for you as well. I feed Farley a lot of raw deer meat but none of it is ground or has had any fat added to it so I'm not totally sure about it.

ETA: According to this website, it seems pretty standard to add 8-12 oz of fat to every 5 lbs of ground meat- works out to about 10-15% fat in the final product, and some go as high as 20% I read.

http://www.elk-hunting-tips.net/grinding-venison.html

Edited by author Mon Dec 3, '12 3:19pm PST

[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 4:25pm PST 
It's free and not seasoned or enhanced...I'd feed it!

You can gauge the fat content of ground meat just by looking at it. If it looks like there's a lot of white fat, just feed in smaller amounts per meal. As with anything new, introduce it slowly. Watch poop for looseness and keep an eye on weight gain.

Congrats on the score!
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 9:38pm PST 
Congrats! I've fed deer loin and ground deer before Saya and Bella loves it.

Coarse introduce it slowly to get dog used to it.
[notify]