GO!

Transitioning to Raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Tanner

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 8:44am PST 
Hi there, we are new here.
I have 2 Aussies, Tanner our 14 month old and Titan our 5 month old.

I started them on Raw when my boss talked so highly of it and we had just brought Titan home. They were on raw for about a month and we were so impressed with their energy, coats, teeth just everything in general.

Then Titan got parvo and was in the hospital for 2 days, he fully recovered but we had to keep him on kibble until his stomach line recovered.
After about 2 months of being on kibble we decided to switch him back over to raw because Tanner was doing so well.
He is just on chicken backs at the moment, one in the morning, one at night. He has been having really bad diarhea, it wasn't like this before so I am just wondering if his stomach cannot process raw now. But I know when I was doing research it said that they are born to process meat rather then kibble, so I am just a little confused. I can't talk to a vet about it because they will just say put him back on kibble and recommend a vet brand.
I have added pumpkin with his chicken back, I am not sure if that is helping or not. It has been about a week now, before it only took 2-3 days.
Anyways, does anyone have any ideas of what this could be, should I just keep him on kibble since he had parvo? I really don't like kibble frown
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 11:35am PST 
that's good you've watched him for a week now.
I'd get him some good probiotics for his system. (have you tried that?)
and try that instead of pumpkin, I know everyone says pumpkin is a cure for diarrhea, but pumpkin actually causes diarrhea in SOME dogs. (I know one). and make sure you're taking the skin off the chicken at first.

I went through some bad times with Cookie on raw too, but she's been doing great for a long time now. just don't give up, you'll figure it out.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 2:10pm PST 
I would ditch the chicken backs, lots of bone with little meat, in favor of quartered chicken. Still bony but more meat.

Feed 2% of his ideal adult weight divided into 3 meals since he is 5 months old.
Feeding too much food or even the right amount of food with too much food fed in 1 meal can cause loose poop.

Remove some skin and fat if needed. As poop stabilizes, start removing less and less.
[notify]