GO!

Keeping Raw Pork frozen for a week

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Ninja PD- SR-1 MBDCh- FM TF3

Take That!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:21am PST 
Hi Everyone, yesterday I picked up a raw order of pork for a friend of mine and myself. Its 180 lbs, in 60 lbs blocks. I have a small chest freezer in the garage and my own personal freezer. I dont know what I was expecting but when I got it all home I realised that because of the shape of the blocks of food i cannot fit any of it in my freezer. I managed to fit one in one of my coolers, but the cooler door wont shut all the way, so im packing ice around it and it seems to be ok as of now. The other two blocks I shoved into my refridgerator.

Two of these blocks will be going home in a week's time. my friend lives out of state and she cant make a trip down until then. I need to make sure this food isnt going to defrost and leak everywhere. Will they be ok in the fridge? Its pretty cold in my area right now, so thats on my side, but not sure for a weeks time. Does anyone have any ideas how I can do this?
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:32am PST 
If it starts to thaw, I would pull/cut off the thawed portions and freeze them individually in gallon-sized freezer bags. I actually do this on a regular basis with Duke's food. I buy certain things in 30lb blocks and thaw the blocks gradually. I then pull off and bag the thawed parts as the block thaws. It sometimes takes a whole weekend to thaw and re-bag the whole block.

Otherwise, if it stays cold, maybe put the block into a plastic tub and keep it outside (out of sunlight)? I often use my porch as a "freezer" in the winter.
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 11:05am PST 
i would love to use my porch as a freezer but there are foxes and raccoons here. how do you deter them from hanging around?
[notify]

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 11:42am PST 
My back porch is screened with a door, so critters can't get in.

The only thing I could think of would be to store it in a sturdy, weighted garbage can with a lid that stays on tightly. That way they couldn't knock it over, and it would be tall enough where I don't think a coon or fox could crawl up the smooth plastic. Or maybe they could...I'm no wildlife expert.
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 4:35pm PST 
ohh yea, there are undestructable containers that have tops that screw on. i could use them..smile

thanks
[notify]