GO!

Feeding puppy raw fish

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 5:45pm PST 
I've heard that your never suppose to give raw Salmon to dogs. thinking
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 12:14am PST 
I dunno the right answer some say trout and salmon from certain areas is ok some say it's all bad some say freezing will take care of it..

I'd never trust freezing to take care of it.. Salmon poisoning sounds scary to chance it.

I've fed smelt, mackerel, pacific saury also known as mackerel pike she has had no issues.

She also gets caned sardines, mackerel and salmon makes yummy snack or something to mix her joint supplement in.
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 10:01am PST 
Supposedly, the Fluke that causes "Salmon poisoning" does not live in the part of Alaska where I get my fish from. It is found in South east Alaska near Juneau but not near the Copper River, Kenai or farther north.

Many Alaskans feed their dogs salmon, both RAW and COOKED. Rarely is is served fresh though. It's normally been frozen.
[notify]

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 10:16am PST 
What Jasper said. PNW Salmon is the one that contains the fluke for salmon poisoning. Feed wild Atlantic or Alaskan salmon. Wiki on salmon poisoning.

Not sure who said never to feed raw fish -- humans eat it all the time, and we have less prepared systems than dogs do!

Cheap oily fish are good for omega-3s and since they are short-lived and small, they don't contain the levels of mercury that fish higher up on the food chain do. Things like sardines, jack mackerel, smelt, etc.

Lastly, freezing does NOT kill bacteria. It simply halts further growth. Upon thawing, bacterial growth then continues. Freezing is done to kill parasites (although some are resistant to freezing).

Hope this helps.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 5:48pm PST 
Don't assume the muscle is safe from parasites. There are a lot of worm parasites that are encysted in muscle. Freezing kills them though. The first whole prey Max got were sardines, guts and all.

Fatty fish like salmon, sardines and mackerel are high in omega 3 fatty acids and have good quality protein but are low in mineral content so don't depend on lots of fish for too long a time.

I hope the salmon poisoning is understood, that is very scary! There is a particular bacteria that lives in a particular fluke that lives in a particular snail in several river systems in the PNW that causes this problem. I would avoid any fish from those drainages just in case because it isn't just a problem with salmon.

Another health issue involved with feeding fish is thiaminase in many raw fish. If the dog ate nothing but raw fish containing this enzyme then in time develop severe health issues such as beriberi involving lack of thiamine. Not going to happen of course, just part of the reason we try to feed a variety of proteins.

Another is mercury contamination and other pollutants. Check one of the databases to see if the fish you have found is low in mercury if you intend to feed it regularly and only feed fish you could eat. One is http://www.gotmercury.org/article.php?list=type&type=75

Another issue is scombroid poisoning. When some fish spoil one of the compounds causes a reaction that resembles a severe allergic reaction. Don't feed spoiled fish. Strange because dogs can do fine on meat that is too old for us to safely eat.

Max does fine with fish bones that are inside the fish but he has only had quite small fish like sardines and small mackerels. I wouldn't offer carcasses with the fillets removed though. Fish heads would be great if Max would eat them but he won't and they aren't cheap enough for me to keep trying.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 8:53pm PST 
Great post Max.

Fish is great for dogs coarse I don't feed Saya diet soley of fish.. She gets it once a week sometimes every other week it depends.
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:53pm PST 
Yummy, fish, I hope your pup will like whatever fish you get! Bella's a weird dog, she's extremely picky. When we used to feed her Blue, she would only eat the kibble, and leave a bowl of the life source bits. laugh out loud However where most dogs don't like Tilapia, she LOVES it! I had gotten some for myself to eat and I though it would be interesting to have her try even though most dogs, even none picky ones don't like it. I put a small bit down, and she woofed it down! Then she sat next to me while I was eating my piece begging because she liked it so much. That's now her favorite raw thing to eat. I've got an odd dog. naughty
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2