GO!

Feeding puppy raw fish

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 9:51pm PST 
I have a 11 week old shiba inu. I've started feeding her raw chicken necks once a week and plan on alternating with raw chicken backs to get her started on raw.

I've heard that dogs are picky when it comes to eating raw fish so I want to start her early to get her used to it.

What kind of fish would she be able to eat? Any specific parts she can or can't eat? How about fish bones? Would she choke on them? Would fish bones be harmful?
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 11:42pm PST 
Saya loves raw smelt, mackerel, pacific saury also know as mackerel pike..

I get the mackerel and saury from a Asian market and smelt from butcher or walmart.

The walmarts near me has smelt in the fish area by where the talapia and shrimp is.

Saya loves all listed above and has done fine.

For a young dog I'd start with smelt as they're smaller and easier to handle.

Pacific saury is good too. I'd cut it in portions of I fed it to a young pup as the big size might overwhelm the dog.

Don't buy tons of the fish in case the dog doesn't like it. Could always mix what you have with ground meat.

Saya has had no issue with fish bones of mackerel or pacific saury. Mackerel probably has biggest bones compared to the saury.

Coarse if puppy is a gulper maybe feed semi frozen to help slow down.

Coarse start off slow with the fish. Smelt is good to start withlike I said can cut it easily and feed however much you need..

Some Salmon and trout can have a parasite or something that hurts dogs can be fatal.. I think salmon from certain parts of world are OK. Not sure exactly where.

I give caned sardines, salmon, and mackerel makes a yummy snack or small meal.

Coarse not raw, but caned fish is still good I think.

Saya was a bit overwhelmed with the saury fish I just kept offering it and eventually once day instead of licking it and eating tiny bit she ate it all.

It might take time or maybe your dog will love fish. Fish is Saya's favorite meal.

I hope raw diet goes well for you read up on it.

These threads are all nice and full of info.

http://preymodelraw.com/how-to-get-started/

http://www.d ogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/431875

http://www.dogster. com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/737490

http://www.dogster.com/for ums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/718349

Blue gill isn't as nutritional as say mackerel or salmon, but Saya has had one I caught for her. I gutted it, kept the head on then cut the back and belly fins as it's very sharp.

She had no issue with the fish bones on it she spit some out after getting the fish meat.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 5:53am PST 
Generally dogs are much more picky about non-oily fish. My dogs won't touch tilapia or halibut, but they go crazy for oily fish like salmon, smelt and sardine.

If you want to try out fish for the first time, buy a can of sardines in water (NO SALT ADDED) and see if your pup will eat it.

I would personally not buy tilapia, swai or any other cheap whitefish since I've never met a dog that's really eager to eat it. If you happen to have some for yourself, maybe offer a bit, but don't waste your money on a while filet for the dog.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 7:20am PST 
would you recommend freezing the raw fish first to kill off any bacteria then feeding?
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 8:35am PST 
Freezing does not kill bacteria it stops it's growth or slows it down or something.

Freezing a item is usually used on wild game to take care of a parasite, but some parasites are resistant to being frozen.

Trout and salmon has a parasite or fluke or something that is bad for dogs depends on where the salmon and trout came from.

I agree fish like talapia and swai are not so liked.

Saya loves healthy oily fish.

I don't see reason to freeze smelt, mackerel or saury, but when I buy them they're already frozen.

I only do it for wild game like rabbit, blue gill from my pond etc.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 11:49am PST 
Duke eats all his whole fish frozen; he likes them better that way. Won't touch them thawed. He gets smelt, mackerel, sardines and anchovies.

He must be odd because he does eat white fish if I offer it. The only time he gets it is when I buy some for myself and it sat in the freezer too long. I'd never buy it specifically for him.
[notify]
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 8:41am PST 
I thought I read somewhere NEVER to give raw fish to a dog?
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 8:54am PST 
Raw fish from the Pacific NW often contains a fluke that can make dogs VERY ill. One of the techs in my vet hospital gave her dog salmon poisoning disease when she let him eat the guts from a trout she had caught. He nearly died. I am careful to only buy Atlantic-caught fish for Jasper's consumption.
[notify]
Tanner

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 8:57am PST 
You are never supposed to give the guts, that is where the parasites are.
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 3:24pm PST 
Crash is very picky about fresh fish. We feed it to him Frozen and he loves it.
I have never ever bought canned fish for Crash. I just can't do it, as it seems really gross! LOL
But we have a good supply of Frozen Sardines and Alaskan Salmon, Halibut, etc here.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2