GO!

Vets that Support Raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 12:04pm PST 
I'm trying to compile a list for the US of vets that support or promote a raw diet. I think this information would be very useful for lots of people. Now that I feed raw, I can say I don't feel as comfortable going to my vet knowing he doesn't support the diet. I would love to see a vet that supports it and who I can openly talk about it with and ask questions. If you know of vet that does support raw will you please respond and let me know their name and the name of their practice and/or website? And if you have a vet that is indifferent then leave them out. I only want vets that support it and promote it. So if you're vet says the decision is yours but is on the fence then that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 3:03pm PST 
I would Google holistic vets in your state and check out their websites. A lot of holistic vets endorse raw. My experience has been that if they are pro-raw, their websites will usually say as much. It was something I looked for when I was looking for a chiropractic/acupuncture vet for Duke. Then make a few phone calls? If you are close by, they might be more inclined to talk if they think it will result in business.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 5:14pm PST 
The only vets I know of out here are ones that support BARF with lots of supplementation or pre-made raw and are not at all supportive of BARF with no supplementation, whole prey or PMR.

If you don't feed what they support then they can be as hard or even harder to talk to than a conventional vet that doesn't support raw at all and pushes clinic kibble.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:23am PST 
Okay, thanks! I'll try that.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 10:55am PST 
Our raw-friendly vet is Sharon R Doolittle DVM (www.holisticanimalvet.com).

However, she does exclusively holistic supportive care though alternative methods. She is not a general practice you can go to for conventional care. Part of holistic support is designing an individual diet program, which generally does include more fiber and supplementation than someone feeding PMR would be used to.

She will also tell you when raw is not appropriate for your dog, as in the case of Vance's extreme digestive problems. And she will work with high-end commercial diets for clients who will not switch to raw or homecooked food.

The other well-known raw-friendly vet in our area is Wolf Rock (www.wolfrockanimals.com). They're are a conventional and holistic practice. I haven't gone myself because they were too far out of the way when I was already seeing Dr Doolittle anyway... I chose to stick with her and a local, open-minded conventional vet. But I've heard tons of wonderful things from their clients - in fact, their client base is so full there's often a waiting period to get in. They will tell you to stop feeding kibble at your intro appointment and provide info on balanced DIY diets.
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 4:48pm PST 
there is a yahoo site that has a huge list of raw friendly vets i read years ago. cant remember the name, but i found it doing a search in google when looking for a vet that supports raw feeding
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 5:09pm PST 
I would caution Dogster members giving out their personal veterinarian's information.

For one it's never a good idea to disclose your location on the internet, for another, none of us have the authority to market or label our vets this that or the other without their permission.

My vet is very open minded and supportive, but still old school. She has some long standing relationships with some of the more prominent commercial food brands brands. If they found out she was being labeled any kind of raw food "enthusiast" that might very well spell trouble for those business relationships.

Not my business to be doing IMHO.

Especially to someone who isn't a registered member, who's intentions cannot be verified in any way.

If vets want to compile such a list themselves though I say more power to them, it would be a very helpful resource and would certainly aid in normalizing the movement.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:23am PST 
I just wanted to respond quick to that last comment there. I in no way, shape, or form have any ill or illegitimate intentions. I am in this forum for the same reasons everyone else is, to learn more, to ask questions and to share a passion for the health of my dog and raw feeding. I understand your concern for other members but, I wanted to set the record clear... this is a legitimate question.

As for not registering, I apologize. Between family, work, going back to school part time, I just haven't gotten around to it. I'll try to get on that ASAP if that makes members feel more comfortable.

Just to ease everyone's concerns, I am planning on personally contacting each veterinarian that I am refereed to so that I can explain what I'm doing and to ask their permission. I would never think to distribute something up about anyone without asking permission first. But if it makes the members on this forum feel more comfortable. I will just contact holistic veterinarians from here on out and not ask any more personal recommendations.

As anyone might imagine, compiling a comprehensive list like this requires a lot of work and is very time consuming. So any recommendations that I've gotten thus far has been very helpful and I appreciate it very much!

I really hope that most of you can see this is a very genuine request and I was only doing this to help make a list for those people that felt more comfortable seeing a vet that supports raw feeding and doesn't try to make you feel bad about it. I know it does for me at least. Because, frankly, I'm afraid to go to my vet now and am sick of the disapproval I receive every time. I'm also sick of feeling as if any ailment my dog might have from here on out will most likely be blamed on raw feeding.

Thanks for understanding.

Edited by author Thu Dec 6, '12 7:41am PST

[notify]