GO!

War between BARF and Prey Model -- getting exhausting!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 12:43am PST 
I got attacked really badly on a FB group called kibbles and kans kill, I would not recommend that one to anyone. They even got nasty about me being Australian.

I am on two, Benefits of Raw feeding and prey model raw, pretty much only because I have friends there. I rarely post though, prefer coming here. This is the best forum for raw on the web imo.

The things people say to other people on some of these groups really appall me.

Edited by author Thu Nov 29, '12 12:48am PST

[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 7:54am PST 
It's a side effect of being online...many people feel empowered by their anonymity, or the fact that they are insulated behind their screen. Some things these people say I can't imagine them saying to someone's face -- although I guess there are also people really like that in real life, just not quite as many as online. I've been active online since 1994 -- it existed then, but I think it's worse now.

Edited by author Thu Nov 29, '12 7:55am PST

[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:22am PST 
Yea it's very crazy to me. I'm totally fine with people disagreeing and I'm all about constructive criticism. I want to know the "why" behind something. But these Yahoo Raw groups are remind me of a nasty hig school clique and if you say one word they don't approve of (even if it's asking a question) you get targeted and attacked. And I mean I have no problem hearing I'm wrong. But I simply defended a girl who was getting attacked. And I did not defend the information she gave but I defended the people turning on her. And I said I appreciated her trying and would appreciate if people would not be negative. And just simple sticking up for another human being led to the moderator and everyone in the group turning on me and all I wanted to do was make something helpful for raw feeders. It's really unfortunate. But yes please feel free to list the raw feeding forums that anyone has found helpful.
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 12:25pm PST 
Here are the three FB groups that I have found useful and friendly.
Most of the advice is pretty good, but like anything else online, do your due diligence...

Raw Fed Pets

Raw Pet

Raw Feeding FRIENDS

Raw Feeding FRIENDS is probably the least confrontational...you can ask about kibble on there and not be kicked out or shunned, and people there realize that pretty much all of us started out on kibble and that certain circumstances and limitations can make raw impossible.

Also, for any Canadians here, Raw Pet was started by a Canadian and a number of the members live in Canada (mostly northern Sask.).
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:06pm PST 
I think I see more PMR people around here than BARF. Not many BARF people talk about their diets. I've explored both. My dogs actually enjoy BARF much better. They beg us for vegetables regularly. We have been doing Sojos, which hydrates into a BARF style meal. It's all good.

PMR has it's adamant and pushy fans, but you have to realize that they all tend to be used to pushing back against the people who are adamant that canned or kibble is the safest most complete way, even to the point where people will panic over feeding uncooked bones and claim abuse of animals, and forbid RF dogs to participate in therapy or assistance programs. Considering cans and kibble is the way supported by the vast majority of Vets right now, it's a tough fight.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 7:28pm PST 
I'm not against Barf diet myself. Saya isn't fond of veggies if I had to give her veggies daily I'd have to mix it with ground meat or caned fish which I don't like to do that.

I feel people need feed what they feel is right as long as it's balanced and the dog is healthy.

I'm OK with veggies and fruit, but when someone wants to give the dog fruit/veggies pulp to give more fruits and veggies that to me isn't good.. :

Veggie and fruit pulp has no nutritional value or if it does it's low.
Maybe once in awhile. I dunno.

Saya does enjoy a fruit a yummy treat.

I use kibble and dog biscuit for training, home made treats, fish fudge. I use the honest kitchen, caned dog food for snacks or small meal. Not often.

I use ziwibeak for training..

Caned fish yumm..

I do agree it's hard when people are hard on my diet..

A shiba breeder had made immature rude comments on my FB wall on raw meal pictures.. Eww! Why would you feed that to your dog?!

She also said Kill him on a picture of a harmless garter snake.

Very mature for a breeder.

I quickly unfriended her.

It does hurt my feelings people think that way I mean she has been on the diet for three years and she is in great health maybe better health now on raw.

I choose pmr because I feel it's best. I try feed whole prey when I can.

Barf wouldn't work for me as Saya hates a lot of veggies so it wouldn't work. I'm lucky I can find a good assortment of organs most of which are free ranged/ grass fed.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 11:13am PST 
I have nothing to really add because I haven't crossed into this realm of feeding,

but I so want to high-five you Ember for your apropos use of "regurgitated fact" in a thread about "BARF and Prey Model" ! laugh out loudbig laugh way to go
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 4:42pm PST 
i know exactly what the original poster is talking about. i got that also when learning about raw feeding. the yahoo groups are pretty much like that, and i agree the prey model members in that group are very snooty and "my way or the highway" kind of deal. that is why i left. I was really expecting alot of arguing in this title when i seen it. i must say i am so relieved that people are so open here. i love it. makes me feel real good about this community and i am feeling pretty good about asking more questions concerning raw..smile
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 4:43pm PST 
i know exactly what the original poster is talking about. i got that also when learning about raw feeding. the yahoo groups are pretty much like that, and i agree the prey model members in that group are very snooty and "my way or the highway" kind of deal. that is why i left. I was really expecting alot of arguing in this title when i seen it. i must say i am so relieved that people are so open here. i love it. makes me feel real good about this community and i am feeling pretty good about asking more questions concerning raw..smile
[notify]
  (Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 39)  
1  2  3  4