GO!

Itchy, itchy, itchy:(

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Lilly

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 3:21pm PST 
I've had my dog on the raw diet for 9 days now. She has always had issues with being itchy, which got better with the start of the new diet. For the past two days the insane itching has started again. She has been getting nothing but chicken. I was at family member house for thanksgiving and she got into their dog food, but not much at all. Could a small amount of dog food do this to her? Or is she possibly allergic to chicken? And what is my next step after the chicken? Should I move onto turkey, beef, or pork?
Thanks,
Amy
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 4:06pm PST 
My guess would be yes, even a small amount of a food that makes her itch could cause that kind of reaction. Since she was doing fine on the chicken for over a week and the itching didn't start until she got some kibble, I wouldn't jump to a chicken allergy just yet. Keep giving her the chicken and see if the itching stops within the next couple days.

As far as what protein to introduce next, it's really up to you. Since she's already dealing with the itching, I'd wait for that to resolve before giving anything new. When you do start a new protein, introduce it gradually by giving a small amount with her chicken. If stools are looking good, increase the amount of new meat.
[notify]