GO!

Avoiding a difficult situation

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 2:29pm PST 
Hi there

Not been online in quite a while. So Hello everyone!
My two pups have been on raw for about 2 or so years. Doing great on it. But having a bit of an issue with Charlie-Pete so just want some input. They both frequently get raw bone in rabbit, wallaby and chicken. Jess has no trouble...chews through it and thats the end of it. About 50% of the time, Charlie Pete chews through it...and I think he likely chews more fully than Jess, but then about 6-8 hours later will vomit up small pieces of bone that he hasnt been able to digest. I've not worried too much about this. However last night he did this after a dinner of rabbit and really seemed to get something quite stuck. He was in a lot of distress and I was dressed to go to emergency all-night clinic. Then finally managed to get it out...whatever it was. But really struggled with it for about 30 min. Now I'm a bit hesitant to give him bone.

Do some dogs just not digest bone as well as others? Is there anything I can do to help him with this? I like giving him bone-in animal, but not if he wakes up the house at 2:30 am in a lot of distress! Comments?
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 3:22pm PST 
Duke has also been on a raw diet for 2 years and can't handle large quantities of bone all at once, either. I just feed less bone more often. Works fine for him. He gets 3-4 oz per day rather than a couple bone-heavy meals per week. I just cut rabbits in half or quarters instead of feeding the whole thing at once.
[notify]
Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Thu Nov 22, '12 5:37pm PST 
Thanks Duke. I may just have to do that. Frequently he gets prepared mince so they usually only get bone in meat 2-3 time a week. The meal he had trouble on consisted of two quite meaty rabbit legs. I'm wondering if chicken is 'softer' bone and maybe I need to stick with that (although rabbits seem fairly 'fine' boned to me. I dunno...it was a bit scary. eek
[notify]