GO!

New to Raw feeding

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Lilly

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 2:54pm PST 
Hi everyone, so I'm new to this. I have an 18 pound miniature schnauzer. I didn't wean her onto this diet at all. I started 3 days ago and used chicken wings. Now I hear that they are too fatty and the skin is no good this early in the game. It was suggested I start with chicken backs, but I was unable to find that in my neighborhood. She started with formed stool that was coated with mucousshock but today hasn't gone at all. I gave her a scoop of canned pumpkin. Am I on the right track? I need helpsmile thank you
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 3:06pm PST 
I don't know about too fatty, but wings are too boney to be fed alone. Could Lily eat thighs or drumsticks instead?

Backs are also very boney AND fatty, so I'd avoid feeding them exclusively.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 3:17pm PST 
Agree with Charlie. Wings and backs are both a lot of bone and very little meat. I'd look for breasts, drumsticks, thighs, or just get whole fryers and cut them into appropriately sized chunks.

I'd highly recommend reading through Chance's Beginner's Guide To Prey Model Raw PDF. Tons of great information about switching and feeding raw in general.
[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 11:20pm PST 
It's okay to feed super boney things when your first starting to help the dog from having runny poo. You just want to works towards the dog being able to handle less bone and more meat. 80% meat 10% bone

If your dog handles something fine, then it's okay to move on to the next thing.

you also want to eventually get him on red meat if you can. chicken is not the best.

Cookie's first raw was chicken necks and bone in breast I think. Those necks had skin. I can't remember what her poop looked like. We went through some bad times figuring out raw, but it's been almost a year now and she's doing great now.
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 1:19pm PST 
Thank you for responding. I got her chicken thighs and took skin and fat off.
[notify]