GO!

Raw toppers/snacks?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Rain

Future agility- star!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 12:27pm PST 
So, unfortunately I cannot to full raw meals at the moment, but I did give Lizzie (my 4 year old Chi) chicken drumsticks once a week when she was a puppy, and her teeth are PURE white...STILL.

Now I have Lizzie and my 8 month old Golden/Lab and I was wondering what type of raw would be good for food toppers or the occasional treat? I did buy some chicken hearts today, would those be ok? If so, how much? Thanks big grin
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 3:47pm PST 
A weekly raw meaty bone would be a great addition for the teeth cleaning benefits. Pork ribs, pork feet, turkey necks, ect. are good scrubbers.

Really any unenhanced meats you can find should be fine, with the suggestion that rich meats, like organs, be introduced gradually to avoid loose stools. As far as amount once your dogs are adjusted, you could probably go as far as half raw half kibble without needing to worry too much about balance. Just make sure however much raw you give, you subtract an appropriate amount from their regular rations.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 5:55pm PST 
A full day's portion for a 50 pound dog is around 2% which comes to 16 ounces a day. Adding that much to the diet may or may not work out without reducing meals following. If the meal is very bony like that turkey neck or pig foot or pork neck I doubt there will be any issue but if the meal is rich like the hearts then there could be some digestive issues. Just don't feed as much as all, especially the first time.

Because kibble already has loads of calcium and of course bone is high in calcium as well I wouldn't feed bony stuff more than once or twice a week, feed some meaty stuff like those hearts if you are offering more raw treats.
[notify]