GO!

Raw food

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 6:21pm PST 
oh so is should literally get something from like a grocery store then??
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:00pm PST 
Yup, just watch the sodium content as some meats have salt added.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:27pm PST 
Go up to your grocery store and see if you can get a lamb shank or neck, they are two very meaty bones that require a lot of back teeth action, great tooth cleaners.
[notify]

Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:41pm PST 
I will do that tomorrow then, hopefully she likes the real thing better with more meat on it!! thank you guys very much!
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 7:43pm PST 
btw are all meats and bones ok for dogs raw? or are there some to stay away from.....I have always heard not to give an animal chicken bones because of slivers or some reason like that? Is that not true then? shrug
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 9:06pm PST 
Cooked bones are brittle and splinter easily, which is where the warning to never give dogs chicken bones came from. Raw bones are flexible, and when cushioned with meat are quite safe. The main thing to watch out for is making sure you give pieces large enough that they dog has to chew its food and can't gulp it down whole.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 8:00pm PST 
oh ok makes sense, thanks!
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 10:42pm PST 
Some bones are fine for some dogs and same bone can be bad for another...

A big dog could eat a whole chicken neck or foot whole if it wanted to.

Some big dogs chew carefully some gulp same for small dogs.

Bella my mom's boxer chews her food good even a drumstick she can eat fine, but some dogs would try eat whole thing..

I'd be careful of beef bones till you know your dog as beef bones are pretty hard even raw.

Saya can handle beef rib fine, but she mainly works on getting the meat off the rib and she can get tiny bit of bone off of it, but not a lot. She never tries crunch it in half..

Saya and Bela has had lamb necks before she liked them.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 5:50am PST 
ok good to know thank you. I have noticed one thing though, Mika actually chewed her knuckle bone last night for a bit and she got very protective of it, we have 2 cats and they all get along great but when the cat walked by last night she growled and bared at him, so i gave her a bit and wanted to make sure she wouldn't do that to me, i reached down and grabbed her bone and she was fine....i even pretended to nibble on it LOL and she was fine but i dont so much like how she was with the cats....scared me a little so i made sure and put it away when i wasn't with her smile
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2