GO!

Raw food

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 9:03am PST 
I asked this in a different forum and was referred here, I was asking what the best solution to a dogs bad breath is and also if it's necessary to brush a dogs teeth as i never have but my dog Mika has horrible breath but good looking teeth, so everybody swears by raw meaty bones but i was wondering as i have small children, if anyone thinks or has an opinion about raw food bringing out a bigger prey drive in dogs? It may sound silly as i have said before but im curious what others think? And is raw meat not bad for dogs? as it is for humans? Is there any risk or does everyone do this? Thanks for your help and opinions.
shrug
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 9:25am PST 
It depends on the cause of the bad breath. Max never did have bad breath and doesn't now that he has been eating raw for 4.5 years. Sassy had horrible breath which resolved once her anal sacs stopped backing up on her. The anal sac issue disappeared once she was off good quality kibble of which I tried many and eating home cooked chicken and rice. Her teeth got cleaner too, I suspect the human quality food was just plain better quality than the stuff that goes into kibble no matter what the bag tells you. Max's teeth are cleaner than they were on kibble plus a weekly raw meaty bone. Some say it is the carbohydrates sticking to teeth that get them gunky up and raw has very little carbohydrate. The mechanical rubbing of the tendons, ligaments and bone against the teeth do scrub them nicely as well.

Kibble has bacteria too and poop is going to have bacteria no matter how clean the food was that went in. Just decide on a convenient spot to clean to feed the dog and if he does happen to get a bit messy give a quick wipe down with vinegar and water on a rag. Max prefers not to touch his food with his feet and raw food really isn't very wet so he rarely is messy.

I thought Max was fine on kibble as his ears and eyes were clean enough, he didn't smell, no anal sac issues and his poop was fine. On raw food his previously dry sticky coat became silky and lays down better and his ears and eyes are even cleaner. I thought he was just a 33 pound weakling but on raw he gained 5 pounds of strong muscle as an 8 year old senior! I thought he was just a reactive mess but on raw he is much more sensible.

Part of the improvement could come from a higher fat and protein kibble but even the the best kibble has a lot of carbohydrate. I suspect he just doesn't do well with carbs.

I would put him on cooked food if need be but hope never to buy commercially made dog food again. I have seen too many improvements in my dogs to want to feed it ever again.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 9:33am PST 
Hi there. I have 2 small children also!

if anyone thinks or has an opinion about raw food bringing out a bigger prey drive in dogs? It may sound silly as i have said before but im curious what others think?

No. This is a common myth, similar to the "the taste of meat makes them bloodthirsty!" thing... dogs are not going to connect a chicken thigh being pulled from the fridge to a live prey animal running around out in the yard. Even dogs that eat whole, fur-on prey don't seem to suddenly start chasing and killing things. The generalization just isn't there.

And is raw meat not bad for dogs? as it is for humans?

Dogs and humans have a different anatomy. Dogs were made to process raw meat with a short digestive tract, unlike humans with their very looooong digestive tract. Dogs also have things like lysozyme and other antibacterial enzymes in their saliva, humans do not. Stuff like that. Fresh, raw meat is the most species-appropriate thing a dog can eat.

Is there any risk or does everyone do this? Thanks for your help and opinions.

As with anything, precautions should be taken to reduce any issues. For example, feeding bones of an appropriate size to your dog's size and ability, handling meat safely (wash your hands, etc -- just like you handle any meat you prepare for yourself), and keeping your dog's feeding area clean. Some people prefer to feed their dogs in the yard, garage, basement -- these are places I feed my pets their raw meals because well, I don't have to wipe anything up in the yard, and when they are in the basement or garage they are secluded and removed from main areas. My dogs have been eating raw as either their complete full diet or as a part of their diet for almost 6 years.

I hope this helps. If you're looking for specific ideas on specific teeth-cleaning bones to feed, I'm sure everyone can offer suggestions.
[notify]

Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 12:55pm PST 
Thank you, I will take any suggestions I can get when it comes to her stank breath eek LOL when we got her I read online about different dog foods and I took a list of stuff to look for in the ingredients to the store with me and found some pretty good good that is also affordable, they have a score chart online and the score of the food i am feeding her is 100 plus witch according to that is a great food, and she has always had bad breath but even more so with a better quality food?? So now im lost about why until I heard about this raw meaty bone thing, Like i mean i will feed her just plain grilled chicken and whatnot but never have I raw...so I didn't know that was safe.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 12:56pm PST 
also, how do you know if they have an anal gland problem??
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 1:29pm PST 
Saya's breath stunk when she was fed kibble, but on raw it doesn't stink except after eating a fish it then smells like fish for a bit, but her breath goes back to normal after a bit..
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 4:41pm PST 
Sassy licked her rear end and scooted when her sacs were bothering her. If she was startled she would leak a smelly thick liquid. Not only did her breath stink she smelled like she needed a bath all the time before she started fresh food. Sassy looked like a lab or hound mix which are commonly stinky dogs so I thought that was just her.
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 7:40pm PST 
She has scooted once or twice but ive only ever seen her do that after she has went to the bathroom and there is a piece stuck to her lol....so as far as I can tell she isn't having an issue with that, but I will keep an eye on it now that I know what to look for. Thank you
[notify]
Mika

blue/brown eyed- girl!

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 3:11pm PST 
O.K so i went to the pet store today and bought a big old "nuckle" bone for Mika to chew and get some gunk off her teeth.....and she wont go anywhere near it, she even had her selection in the pet store of what she wanted and she sniffed this right out so we brought it home and she doesn't want it.......she wont let the cats go near it lol but not even a nibble.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 2:31pm PST 
The bones sold specifically for dogs generally have very little to no meat on them, so that might be why she's disinterested. I personally avoid bones like beef knuckles and femurs because they're usually smoked which means they aren't raw, and because the weight-bearing bones from large animals are very hard and dense so an enthusiastic chewer can chip teeth on them.

Have you tried something fresher and meatier like a whole fryer? Chicken bones are too easily chewed up to offer much cleaning benefit for some large dogs, but it might be a good starting place for her.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2