GO!

Lost weight since starting raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 6:13am PST 
I have a malnourished, extremely skinny foster who I started on raw five days ago, the day after I got him. He has lost four pounds in that time of being on raw and eating 3% of his would-be weight. He doesn't have four pounds to spare. Anyway, he went in for surgery and the vet said this was probably due to an overdrive metabolism due to his constant nervousness. She wants me to put him on a kibble for the time being until he puts on weight.

What do any of you think? I really don't want to go onto kibble when the other dogs around him will be having raw. Can I just increase the amount of raw? Can I give him both?
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 6:29am PST 
He may need the bulk kibble has to offer to get to a better place weight wise.

You certainly can increase the amount you're feeding him, whether or not you can afford to keep up with it is the question lol

During bird season I'll often supplement the raw I give our Labs with Fromm's. Doesn't seem to matter how much I feed them of just raw, they'll still lose and that's a little unnerving. I've tried to supplement with larger cuts, lots of red and fatter meats and even went so far as to try to regularly feed satin balls. In the end I wasn't a fan of how much I had to spend or how much I was having to feed them on a daily basis.

There's no reason why you can't feed kibble and still supplement with raw (or if it sits better feed raw and supplement with kibble) until he settles in and down a bit.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 7:17am PST 
If he handles raw good already
you could offer both

raw is actually mostly water, so he probably would need A LOT of it. (try it?) I know my dog started to get chubby when I was feeding her a little too much meat.

but if feeding more doesn't help, you could give him a bowl of kibble to eat as supplement.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 7:39am PST 
Giving a bit of good quality kibble might help..

Could you get lamb, or ewe? sheep seems to be a bit more fatty.. I give Saya lamb ribs, ground ewe and things like beef heart which has some fat on the heart.

Could feed normal raw meals and give amount kibble you need give as a treat for training or snack in between meals.

Hope your dog gets some weight on soon..

Maybe feed some caned fish like caned salmon, sardines, mackerel Saya and Bella loves those fish and they make yummy snacks.
[notify]
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 9:21am PST 
I have only been feeding him chicken, as we are just starting out for him. Should I try a different meat to start? If I do, how will I get him the bone content? I will use a kibble, but want to give him raw, also. He hadn't pooped in two days before taking him to the vet! That was worrying me also. I don't know if he has since or not bc he will be at the vet until Friday for an FHO. frown
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 10:17am PST 
We know that RAW fed dogs digest their food better so there is less waste (ie: poo) but I also know that usually a malnourished animal can have internal issues that might make him very sick. Is this dog other wise healthy? Are there kidney or liver issue in conjunction with the malnutrition and underweight?

If this pup is only underweight, I would increase the RAW. With Puppies, it's suggested to feed up to 10% of their adult weight. I would use this as a guide and see where it goes. I would also seek out fatty foods such as pork and chicken with the skin on and turkey tails, etc to help put weight one.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 1:23pm PST 
Could continue to feed chicken and add little bit of pork to transition onto that..

Maybe give him some probiotic to help him with digesting.

Arknaturals has one called gentle digest there are other brands too.

I don't think yogurt would be enough plus dairy can be an issue with some dogs.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 4:47pm PST 
How is his poop? That is the most important thing to know.

If his poop is fine then move on now. Substitute a bit of pork or beef or lamb for a bit of the chicken today. If a dog is doing fine there is no point to stay on chicken.

If his poop is nasty then that is the reason he is losing condition. The food isn't being absorbed efficiently. Take off the skin and feed bonier bits like backs. Feed lots of them in many meals a day. I would start with that 3% but split it into 3 or 4 meals a day. Bone has 30% protein in it, don't worry that you are protein starving him.
[notify]
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 5:59pm PST 
I have only had him since last Friday. He pooped once that day and it was greenish grey and not firm or soft. Then, I fed him raw the next day (Saturday.) The poop was ok. He did not poop Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday, so I have no idea if he's ok with the chicken. I took him to the vet Wednesdy morning and he's been on kibble there since they think that's what I should do to put weight on him. So, that's why I'm not sure if I should add something new or not. I guess I can just try it and see. I was feeding him several meals at 3%. I don't want to feed kibble, but for the time being I may just try both to get some weight on him.
[notify]
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 6:00pm PST 
I am getting him back from the vet tomorrow. He had surgery on Wednesday.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2