GO!

Does your dog bury food in the yard?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 4:23pm PST 
Presley loves to bury food in the back yard (especially chicken) & sometimes he'll leave it until it starts to get rank before he'll dig it up & eat it...
I hate it because it makes the back yard smell, but I read that it's perfectly normal. Any thoughts?
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 6:32pm PST 
it's another one of those personal decisions. if you don't mind your dog doing it, then okay...

as for us, no digging in the yard, I rent here.
Cookie is always hungry and eats her food right away.
I would not let her bury her food in the yard because I think that's nasty and a bad doggie habit. If I had my own yard, she wouldn't be allowed to dig in it, and God forbid my dog is in the habit of burying raw meat in the yard when I'm ready to have kids... imaging children playing in the yard. no no no.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 9:12pm PST 
Mine noses leaves and grass over his food when he's full, but I always take it away and put it in the freezer for later. He buried some pork once and forgot about it and it was so disgusting I'm careful about it now. Carnivores can also get botulism from eating rotten meat so for me it's a big no.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 10:23pm PST 
I rarely feed Onyx in an area where burying would be possible (he eats in the house or in an enclosed paved area) so I don't know if he would, but it's not something I'd let happen. Mostly I don't want to attract coyotes and the like, but also not really comfortable with him eating decaying meat. Especially if there were maggots in it as those really creep me out silenced
[notify]
Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 8:59am PST 
I've stopped letting him bury food because I hate the smell & I think it's disgusting, I just wanted to make sure first that there weren't any known beneficial reasons for him to bury food, like when dogs eat grass for example.
Best I can tell from reading is that it's an ancestral predisposition that dogs have for saving food for tough times, like squirrels do with nuts I suppose.
Anyway, Thanks everyone for responding!!
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 6:51pm PST 
omg, my bad little yorkie does this. he loves to hide food, he is sooooo bad. he will run out at night and find all his buried food and gobble it up lol. i video taped him doing this. it is suppose to be natural. i just worry about racoons and foxes coming around. or magots on the meat after. lol
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:51pm PST 
Addie only does it with certain things.. especially when I give her beef trachea. She doesnt dig, but rather noses the mulch out of the way and back on it again. I usually let it stay there for about 10 mins and then get it out and put it away for later... goofy dog.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 10:05pm PST 
We're lucky Peggy doesn't bury her food in our yard. The problem with her sometimes is that she brings her soiled food from the outdoors inside the house. It's a good thing she doesn't leave it inside for too long. She knows I'll just make her pick it up and bring it back in the yard.
[notify]
Zack

Move or I'll- plough you down!- (lovingly)

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 1:27pm PST 
Zack usually eats his raw food instantly, the only thing he ever burys are pork trotters. Usually I watch him bury it and he goes through a process of burying it, leaving it for all of two seconds, digging it up again, burying it somewhere else etc. He does this a few times before eating it. A few weeks ago, however, I wasn't watching where he burried it as I expected him to dig it up straight away as usual, and it got me really worried because I couldnt find it and he wasn't interested in digging it up. He finally did in the evening though. Phew. I wouldn't let it sit for long enough to defrost, as anything with bone in it he gets frozen.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 1:30pm PST 
I think Dubs considers doing it. If she wants to hide something and not eat it right away. I don't think she has actually done it, because I or the other dogs usually interrupt her. She used to hide biscuits in her bed, but one of the other pups would always find them. I think if she was a solo dog she might do it, but doesn't take the chance because her stash would be discovered.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2