GO!

baby hasn't pooped in 48 hours

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 6:05pm PST 
hi guys. my 7 week old baby has been on a raw diet for 2 days and she hasnt pooped since. should i worry? or is her body just adjusting to her new diet? she's had no bones or fat or organs yet. only chicken breast.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 9:51am PST 
Not bone in chicken breasts?

I'd give bone in chicken breast so the poop can stay firm..
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 10:30am PST 
It may be normal but I can imagine it isn't easy for you!

Remember this diet is very low residue, high protein and high fat. Your pup came from a diet that is high residue, low protein and fat. Since you haven't fed any bone which is the source of most of the residue of raw diet then there is even less residue. Her tiny gut hasn't adjusted to the smaller amount of waste and doesn't think there is a need to push the residue along. My 38 pound dog's poop for an entire day's ration can be smaller than my thumb, your pup's will be a small fraction of that. Compare to the last poop you saw, bet it was not that small!

You must feed bone. It isn't optional. I would let her try to eat the bone on those chicken breasts and if she fails to eat more than a single rib then you can go ahead and smash up and mince chicken necks for her and give a tiny bit of that every meal but do let her try or she won't learn and her muscles don't stand a chance of growing strong enough to do so.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 11:05am PST 
yeah, i was gonna feed her bone....but i was only gonna offer it twice a week. what do you think? also, on another forum that i belong to, some people are worried about such a young puppy eating raw....saying i need to mix in fruits and veggies, organs and bones. i was gonna do PMR (prey model raw) with her, which only calls for 80% muscle, 10% organ and 10% bone. now i'm worried that i shouldn't do all this till she's older....afraid she'll be missing something. what i'm thinking of doing is buying a high grade puppy kibble and also giving her raw meat (not mixed together though). am i just worried for no reason? would putting her on partial kibble be bad? and she STILL hasn't pooped btw. it's been since monday morning.

Edited by author Wed Nov 7, '12 11:06am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 1:43pm PST 
At first feed or at least offer bony meat for every meal. It is later that we cut back the bone consumption to 10% on average.

Are you positive she hasn't pooped? Raw poop may not smell bad and Max's poop from a meat only meal is teensy. If it is a bit messy it dries up to look exactly like a dried leaf very quickly. Her poop may be the size of a raisin.
[notify]