GO!

need help with organs asap

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 9:13pm PST 
heyyy I want to go buy organs tomorrow for making my own organ mash. (gonna look at the asian market) I touched on this in my last thread but never got a definite answer....

What organs should I include???

Should I do half beef liver? or 1/4 beef liver and 1/4 chicken liver?

for other half of organs I plan to include kidney.

I found sweet breads, should I include those, or are they worthless?

If anyone knows any organs that might be at Asian market, please tell me what to buy to put in the mix.

The organs I was getting from previous food I ordered were liver, kidney, pancreas, thymus, and spleen. So I will be looking for those.

by the way, what are sweet breads again? I forget.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 1:29am PST 
Sweetbreads are pancreas and/or thymus glands. Definitely NOT worthless, but also not needed in huge amounts. Do you follow a "prey model"? Think about that prey model now that you've got access to these things. The liver is huge, kidneys significant, and sweetbreads much less so volume-wise, but everything has it's place. Sweetbreads are largely fat nutritionally. While some items may not be crucial to health, including certain organs in certain amounts isn't bad. I, personally, got a case of sweetbreads from my raw feeding buyers group a couple years ago and there were definitely a lot more fatty glands going around than present in natural amounts in the average prey animal over 2 or 3 months.

If you're a proponent of the "prey model", that model shows you that liver is big, kidneys too. Though air-filled and nutritionally not-so-much there is lung, then there's spleen, brains, reproductive organs and sweetbreads. Then there's all the gushy mushy goodness that comprises lymphatic tissue and otherwise.

Expanding your repertoire of meat types when it comes to sourcing organs is a good thing, as each is relatively high and low in certain nutrients, especially when it comes to poultry vs. red meat, young vs. old, etc.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:37am PST 
awesome!! thank you so much for all this info. :3
Yes, prey model is right.

So.. I'm concluding that I should make it 1/4th beef liver 1/4 chicken liver (still don't quite understand this since red meat is supposed to be more nutritional???), and then add a good chuck of kidney and add in some sweet breads. (which I have been able to find all these at the store so far).

and if I find any spleen, or brain at the asian market I will add those too. =3

buy the way, can we discuss how we store organs? I have a little dog so one beef liver last forever. I was planning on making a blend and then freezing in ice cube trays, but I'm still afraid I'll have too much and no room to store it.
[notify]

Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 11:39am PST 
For long-term storage I'd freeze chunks of organs as opposed to making the blend first -- less oxidation that way. big grin
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 12:05pm PST 
I agree...

I've done that before.
I put the chunks into plastic containers.. I think I will try freezer bags this time.

I think what I might do is gather an appropriate amount of everything, chop it up and fill come ice cube trays with the chunked mix. Just because the ice trays are more convenient due to freezer space and also I had a hard time getting the frozen pieces off of the cookie tray last time, I even had some layered on wax paper and I could never get it off the wax paper.. they were stuck.
I think popping them out of stackable ice trays should be easier.

once again, thank you so much for the help.

also, anyone who can tell me a brand of ice trays which holds 1 oz cubes, please tell me. I bought some trays but they are really only 1/2 an oz... which I will not use because that's double the work! shock
[notify]