GO!

liver only?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 9:31am PST 
hi guys. i am getting a new baby shih tzu on sunday. i plan on putting her on 100% raw asap. i have noticed though, that i can ONLY find liver in the stores. NO kidney, no brain etc. there's chitlins and tounge, but i know thats not an organ. we are also on a limited budget so i can't order from these special companies that would sell it to me. we can occasionally get some animal organs from a friend of mine who has a farm, but that is few and far between. we are even considering raising rabbits just for our dogs. we have 2 other dogs (big dogs) and they are only on raw 1/2 the time. partly cuz they cost a lot to feed and partly cuz all we have around here is liver. any advice on what to do about organs? i have talked to the butchers in each of the grocery stores and they won't sell leftover organs to people anymore OR they don't actually butcher like they use to years ago.

Edited by author Fri Nov 2, '12 9:32am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 9:54am PST 
Maybe for a small dog the kidney that is tucked into the backs of chicken quarters would be enough?

I didn't have any trouble finding beef and pork kidney but no other organ was available at a good enough price. The first brain/spleen/pancreas and all that Max got was when I fed him whole sardines. Perhaps you can get safe whole small fish?

His next brain/spleen and the rest was when I was able to give him whole prey. I think the big pet stores sell frozen whole rats and mice as snake food. Perhaps as a monthly treat you could offer such a thing up?

I know some dogsters have reported that liver isn't enough but I am not sure exactly what it is that kidney and the others have that stuff like more easily sourced hearts, tongue and gizzards don't have. I would be looking out for non skeletal muscle meat like those as well if true organs are difficult to come by.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 10:16am PST 
that was a LOT of help maxwell!! seriously! thanks so much! you mentioned some things i had never thought of! i never thought of fish or rats (yuck on me touching rats....and i'm not a prissy person, but something about a rat creeps me out...lol....but i would do it for my girl). i will most certainly check into your ideas!! cheer
[notify]

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 3:17pm PST 
Also check ethnic markets (Asian, Mexican). They usually carry a ton of organ and "odd" stuff for reasonable prices.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 3:35pm PST 
Ethnic markets are where I find cheaper whole fish and organs. I happened to find a whole street of them when I went down instead of turning the corner but a google would have worked fine. This street is 20 miles from my house and several of the markets even have online flyers so I can check for good enough deals before driving over. Organs are rarely mentioned in the flyer, I am looking for meat and meaty bones.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 3:56pm PST 
yeah organs is what i'm having to figure out right now.
I'm going to go to the asian market to look for more.
but do look at the store closely, the liver is in tubs, but sometimes I find beef kidney and it is not in tubs, it is in plastic wrap and sometimes not anywhere near the liver.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 8:21pm PST 
thanks guys! i will look around. i live in a relatively small place with not a whole lot available, but i will certainly look. and if i ever go into a bigger town around here (about 45 min away) and i find something, i'll stock up. i've got freezer space. picking up the baby on sunday....the breeder is gonna give me a bag of her food even though i told the breeder i'd be putting her on raw. the breeder is a sweetheart, but i'm not gonna give the baby the bagged food. maybe on the day i get her i will. but once she wakes up for her 1st full day at home, it's raw for her.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 8:25pm PST 
With the Asian markets, if you have more than one, check them all. I find that different ethnicities carry different products...everything from duck heads to pork bung, and everything in between!

The Vietnamese market is the only place I can find raw, uncured ham for a good price. And the Hmong shop carries goat, including organ and heart. They all carry whole fish. I stick to the small ones--mackerel, sardine, anchovy, smelt.
[notify]
London

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 2:48pm PST 
There are a few sites like hare-today.com that sell organs or organ mixes for reasonable prices. Now that the weather is cooler shipping ground should be no problem. Plan ahead and get a decent amount to stock up.
[notify]
Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 3:25pm PST 
Has anyone heard of champion dog food? They sell a big box of frozen beef liver (50lbs I think)for around $10.00, so you might check to see if they sell other organ meats (cheap) as well... Good Luck!
[notify]