GO!

hungry hungry hippo- I mean- dog!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 6:11pm PST 
hey guys, was wondering, is it normal for the dog to act so hungry all the time. :[

Cookie is 8-9 lbs and I feed her 3-4 oz a day.

Her weight is fine, 'excellent body condition' says the vet.

but I swear she acts like a starving lunatic around any kind of food. (all human food, other dog's kibble, etc).

It's kind of embarrassing, I don't want people to think I'm starving my dog...

I feed her one meal, in the morning, then she gets one big treat or lots of small training treats in the evening. She also has cow ears and bully sticks and cheese block and antlers that she munches on.

Am I feeding her enough food??? I really want to think I am... She doesn't seem too skinny. just healthy skinny... I just need to know I'm not starving her I guess...
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 6:48pm PST 
My girls are known as the "Hungry hippos" - they will eat anything put in front of them and then eat the rest if I happen to give it to them. When I tried upping the food intake on my youngest it just caused her to have more energy to expend...she stayed the same weight though. I have found that some dogs just love their food more than others, I cannot gorge the girls as I start to get weary watching them eat...plus they never seem to get full (my 30# girl ate 5#s of food and was still willing to eat more & then my 38# girl ate 3 pounds went out and pooped and then tried to eat more lol).
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 7:44pm PST 
Farley is the same. He's eaten a 5-6 lb meal (around 8% of his body weight) in one sitting and still acted hungry after. I don't judge if he needs food by how hungry he acts because if I did, he would be obese by now. laugh out loud I just watch his body condition and right now, his ribs are easily felt with a nice tummy tuck as well, so he's in a fine condition.

Edited by author Tue Oct 30, '12 7:45pm PST

[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 7:19am PST 
thank guys, guess I'll just have to become stronger and not give into the starving antics.

I think I just need to play with her and walk her more during the week to take her mind off FOOD

smile
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 8:31am PST 
My last dog was hungry all the time. Constantly begging and looking for food.
Treader isn't quite as hungry as Cookie was, but he would be happy to eat any time of day and lets me know when it's supper time.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 3:47pm PST 
Before I got Max I thought all dogs were food seekers that eat until they explode. Max isn't nearly as bad though now he is technically the senior member of the household he will bark at you if he thinks you should share your food with him.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 8:11pm PST 
I also have a hungry hippo of a dog!!

Like Farley, Rexy can eat 4-5 lbs and still be sniffing around for more! At the end of one memorable gorge, she looked preggo and still wanted more...
I have never let her eat her fill because I am afraid that she wouldn't stop!laugh out loud
[notify]
Zoe

Take me to the- River!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 7:18am PST 
My girls are both the same way, hungry all the time. I can't gorge them because they would not quit eating. They eat kibble with the same enthusiasm as real meat. My family doesn't help either they are always saying , "they're still hungry, you need to feed them more." laugh out loud
[notify]