GO!

liver and kidney only? hello again raw forum!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 10:41am PST 
Cookie, sometimes chicken RMBs aren't enough to clean teeth. I like to feed pork RMBs with pig skin, because they really work out the plague on those teeth. I know Cookie is much smaller than my dogs, but maybe if you have access to pig tails, you could let him gnaw on them on a few times a week.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 11:08am PST 
thank you charlie, do you happen to know the weight of an average pork foot?

if the pork feet are larger than the chicken necks.. then I would be feeding such a boney meal even less often than two times a week... I already feed boney chicken at least once a week.. and her breath is getting stinky, which is why I want to feed boney meals more often.. but seems to be impossible to do with a small dog.

but if they are about the same... I think two pork feet a week would be good for her teeth (and hopefully her breath). She's never had them before though so I don't know if she'll be picky or not... She doesn't really enjoy chicken feet either.
I better go to the store today to see what I can see. lol
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 3:12pm PST 
Pig feet are a pound each and supposed to be 30% waste? I think, since I have had the dirty look from Max I haven't bought any for a couple years. Don't worry about it, she isn't likely to eat the whole thing anyway and the bones are inside super tough skin. My dogs would chew and chew and you couldn't tell where they had gotten anything off at all.

Do get big bits of pork and beef bony stuff and count on throwing the bone away. Max gets exactly the bone he needs to firm his poop from beef ribs, your little girl can get the same from pork, lamb ribs and necks. Feeding bone for nutrition only is a bore, yummy bore but bore never the less!
[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 7:28am PST 
haha, I saw the pig feet at the store last night and said the same thing to myself.. "whaaat? my dog can't eat this"
Sorry Charlie, laugh out loud maybe for some little dogs. Cookie's not very zealous when it comes to tearing up meat.

I cancelled my order on the premeasured stuff so that I can actually start this plan. ***any more info on how I should do my organ mix (beef liver, chicken liver, kidney, sweetbreads?) which I plan to put in ice trays would be great***

I found steaks on sale for 2.77/lb last night and bought like four trays. blue dog
each tray would feed her for like at least 12 days (amazing).

and I hear your advice on the big bones Max, I agree... I will be sure to buy stuff like that also. In fact... I should have bought them but I didn't- I'm going to go back to the store after work and hope they have them!!! Trays of beef knuckle for .99/lb!

Edited by author Mon Oct 29, '12 7:36am PST

[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 7:32am PST 
oh and Cookie might be a bit of a power chewer when it comes to bones. She devours pork ribs. She cleared an entire rack of pork ribs (bone and all) that I bought on sale in July. She only got like 1 rib at a time, but still. It was all eaten.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2