GO!

RMB for power chewer!!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 2:06pm PST 
My foster isn't a big dog just over 30lbs but he's a power chewer! A big pig's ear is crunch crunch gone in 5 minutes or less. I gave him a lamb bone I had bought at a raw food pet store but he almost ate the whole thing before I realized what he was doing!! I'm pretty sure it was a leg bone.

What can I give him that he can just eat the whole thing? Chicken leg with back attached? I've seen those pretty cheap here. What are those called...pig hocks? They sell those too but I think they're split?

Edited by author Fri Oct 26, '12 2:08pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 5:46pm PST 
*I* being a slightly crazy raw feeder would go to the Mexican market and get a whole pig head for a power chewer. Heads are completely edible but extremely difficult to figure out how to eat if they are large enough.

Normal people would get pig feet. That skin is super tough and difficult to get through. Some markets sell long ones that include more of the lower leg, better yet. Max never got very far with them and now won't touch them - too much work for him.

Max's favorite is beef ribs. He wasn't safe with them for a year or so, tried to chomp right through the bone but given a couple of them will get the soft stuff off and be full enough to stop chewing the bone before it is gone now.

Any chicken bit is gone too fast to work for a chew. Turkey backs or necks are a possibility.

My dogs mowed through pig ears in a couple minutes too. Cow ears last a lot longer as do bully sticks. You could try ostrich tendons if you win the lottery any time soon. I need to trade for the last couple inches on that sort of thing for safety's sake. What about antlers? Dried trachea is very fun for all concerned but doesn't last long [Sassy adored having her chewing amplified]. Some time I would love to give Max a fresh one to see if it lasts longer than the dried ones.
[notify]
Bruce

As delicate as a- bulldozer

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 6:05pm PST 
Bruce is a power chewer. While not necessarily meaty, I do give him frozen turkey feet. The ones I have are huge, and do take him awhile to get through. They last much longer for him than any other bone-in item.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 9:28pm PST 
Turkey feet are nice Bella my 55lb boxer has a good time with them. Saya had one and it took her long time to eat it.

Though it is very boney so be sure to give a good boneless meal with it..

Saya's turkey foot weighed 5oz I have various sizes on them.. Chicken feet weighs about 2oz.

Pork head or pork shoulder roast with skin all over it..

Saya has a good time with whole quail. she eats it faster now, but still decent meal..
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 9:31pm PST 
Meaty ribs are awesome for power chewers.. and meaty whole necks. (lamb, pork, bison, deer, whatever you can get). Feed partially frozen for an even longer, challenging chew.

Farley can get though a thick, 12 inch-long bully stick in 30 mins but if I give him a semi-frozen meaty bison neck, he will chew it for at LEAST 2 hours, and I have to end up taking it away.

Edited by author Fri Oct 26, '12 9:31pm PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 2:12pm PST 
Living in small town Northern SK there are no Mexican markerts here, pork hocks are about the most exotic thing I'm going to find. I wouldn't even trust him with beed ribs after what he did to the lamb leg. I will try the hocks and hope it goes well. Thanks!

I did ask a friend what his son was going to do with the bones of the deer he hunts this season so hopefully I get something good there.

Edited by author Sun Oct 28, '12 2:14pm PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 7:58pm PST 
Jewel, if there is a game cutter in town, see if they are willing to let you take some bones/scraps out of their scrap bins.
Rexy absolutely loves deer and elk necks. They easily last for a couple of hours. smile Entire slabs of deer ribs are good too.

Don't forget that pork hocks can be really fatty and might cause some cannon butt!
Will he chew on antlers?
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 11:28am PST 
I haven't tried antlers yet because all the ones I have are Jewel sized and I'm sure he'd just swallow them. Right now it's still bow and musket season here I believe so no one I know is hunting yet. Once it's rifle season I can start begging for weird pieces. laugh out loud
[notify]
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '12 11:28am PST 
I didn't think I had a power chewer until last night. I gave him a frozen beef marrow bone and he chewed through the slimmer side! I took it away and gave him a frozen pig foot. I thought frozen would make it last longer. Nope, he was able to break it apart and finished it in 30 minutes! So, maybe giving him a pig foot that isn't frozen would be an idea???? I would love for him to be able to chew on something for at least an hour. He gets enough physical exercise, but I think he needs more mental stimulation.
[notify]