GO!

Bony percentages

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Otto

Is someone at- the door!!??

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 7:32am PST 
I was wondering how the percentages of bone from meats were calculated? I see a lot of post saying chicken quarter is 30% bone, this is 20% bone, etc. I am just trying to wrap my head around how this is calculated. Do these percentages take into account how dense the bones are? I am still feeding a little more than 10% and a little over 3 weeks and wondering if I need to cut back since they are having good poops and not showing signs of constipation?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 11:11am PST 
We get the percentage from USDA for some of the meats. I don't know that this link will work on the new site but here goes.
Usda raw chicken wing

If you have been feeding raw for 3 weeks and are close to that 10% then you are doing just fine. If you aren't feeding any stool firmers then we feed enough bone to firm up the poop and that is it. A little more is just fine if it is needed. Remember kibbles often provide more than 200% of the dog's requirement so don't be too concerned if the weekly amount of bone that goes in seems to be more than 10%.
[notify]
Otto

Is someone at- the door!!??

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 2:10pm PST 
Yes, this makes sense-I am being a little too paranoid. Thanks! I ordered some green tripe in a can from tripett because I can not find any local and wanted to give it a try. I have seen different things but is the consensus to feed this as a muscle meat? Thanks for always being so helpful!

One other question, I have a 18 lb and 57 lb dog and they love sardines from a can as a snack (in water of course) so I was going to get omega's that way. Is there a specific amount per lb I should aim for or just feed a tin 1-2 times a week?
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 5:30pm PST 
The amount of omega 3 needed is very flexible. For one sort of fish I figured Max needed about one meal a week which I could serve as often as I like of course. Dogaware has a suggestion on the supplements page. 300 combined per 30 pounds is the basic amount and triple it if the dog has issues and can tolerate it. If this is new be sure to give a smaller amount at first of course!

Yes tripe is meat. Since the word is it is the stinkiest stuff ever I opened the first few cans outside, served the dogs outside, put the can inside a plastic bin outside at first just in case. Later I was spilling the canned stuff on the floor and the dogs cleaned it up for me, no problem! Introduce it slowly just in case.
[notify]
Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 9:00am PST 
I use Grizzly Salmon oil for my girls. They are all over 100 pounds; and so, they get 4 squirts in their dishes once a week or a little more often if we have a lot of rain.
[notify]