GO!

Vet Is Anti Raw, Should I Still Go?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 12:18am PST 
I'm going to point out, Bellatrix, that many vets ARE uninformed about raw. They're typically only taught about dog foods(and of course, by dog food companies) in schools... They aren't actually trained in Nutrition by any really good standard unless they opt for that field. Raw is also something that they would have to do more research on, and see more pet dogs on to really gauge how much healthier it truly is. When my vet saw my dog, he asked me WHAT I did to have such a fit Beagle - he's never seen one before Charlie. I told him he was on raw, or grain-free high quality kibble, and got proper exercise. He told me to keep it up. And he was completely open to the fact that I chose to feed what I did, even if he felt differently about what to feed dogs.

I truly don't see a problem with staying with this vet, s'long as he doesn't PUSH you when you opt for a different option than he recommends(on anything). Making sure you're informed is different than being pushy. I know vets that will PUSH AND PUSH for you to over-vaccinate and feed so and so kibble, etc... I skip those vets EVERY time. I do minimal vaccinations after puppy shots(if any at all), and feed raw when I'm not feeding Acana. My dogs are in excellent health, and I'd trust that my vet would see that and see that what I'm doing is working for my dogs. smile

If you're comfortable with the guy and like how he handles your dogs, that's awesome and imo, worth staying with, even if he's not into the raw diet(it can be reaaalllyy hard to find vets who are okay with the raw diet, even if it's getting easier, it is STILL hard to find them).
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 9:45am PST 
I wouldn't have an issue staying with the vet as long as the diet isn't blamed first for everything. You can take the chance to go over the diet with him explain how it's balanced and the best thing for them you might even convert him. Wait until he's raving about how amazing Bella looks and then say it can't be that bad for her can it.

He does know salmonella is in a lot of foods right and of course it's going to be in dog's poop raw or kibble fed. Most cases actually come from salad if I remember correctly because people don't take the same handling precautions as they do with raw meat.

Edited by author Sat Oct 27, '12 9:47am PST

[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 11:53pm PST 
My vet is not particular keen on raw diets, but lets me be as it's pretty obvious that I have done my research and that my dog (and cats) are thriving on it.

I'm fine with a vet asking me tons of questions about what I feed, but I'm not okay with them pushing any Rx food, and with being told that raw will kill my pets.

Edit: FYI Jocie, it makes no difference to me if you are not a fan of raw, but please don't come to a RAW forum and disparage the way we feed our pets.

Edited by author Sat Oct 27, '12 11:56pm PST

[notify]

Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 2:24am PST 
It depends a whole lot. Is this vet more focused on the western side of, um.. vetting? Or is she more inclined to turn to more natural and/or Hollistic methods?

I don't go to vets who are too western. I mean, I'm not going to completely disregard a vet for some minor things, but if they're totally pro-vaccinations, pro-Science Diet, anti-herbal, anti-raw, and just basically anti-natural, that's a complete deal breaker for me.

Now, as for me personally, my vet is Hollistic. She's an extremely intelligent woman and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to nutrition. I don't like everything about her, but it's worth the 45 minute drive for me, as I'm in a town full of fat, greasy, over-vaccinated dogs who go to the same vet, so... Y'know.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 7:49am PST 
I would much rather go to a "traditional" vet who is open minded to someone who is going to push magic water or my dog being hot/cold or whatever and probably charging me double for the privilege. As long as the vet isn't pushing you into giving your dog something you're not happy with be that vaccines or homeopathy or blaming the diet first then it will be fine.
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 1:47pm PST 
Buster, my vet is quite open-minded, thank you. She doesn't "push" anything, and she does go to traditional methods if the owner prefers. She has also chosen traditional methods for some ailments in dogs. Heck, she even has Lobo on steroids due to his autoimmune disorder - that's certainly not homeopathic.

But I understand what you're saying, and yes, it's not fun to have a vet who pushes anything.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 6:51pm PST 
Pretty much agree with what everyone else has said, but posting as a reminder... if you otherwise like a vet and their practice, but you find that they disagree with you on a certain subject, PLEASE don't be afraid to politely stand up for yourself and ask that it not be made an issue for you.

My first vet I left for what I more or less call malpractice reasons. It was hard for me, as otherwise I'd had it very good with this vet, as they were mostly indifferent and occasionally even supportive of my opinions/methods.

Second vet I left because of the unreasonably rude treatment I was given by they staff. The VET was fine, but each time I took Mulder in and was asked what I was feeding, they made it a point to lecture me or mouth off about why raw is the devil. They did this even AFTER I told them, point-blank, that I wasn't there to discuss my dog' diet and that they need to drop the subject with me. They didn't, so I dropped them.

Vet I'm with now isn't really PRO raw, but doesn't seem to care or press the issue so long as the dogs are healthy. I can live with that- they do everything I want them to do, and don't do the things that I'd rather not, and for me that's good enough. If they do offer me an option that I don't particularly jive with, I simply tell them I'd rather look into other options on my own. Don't be afraid to say this to your vet- don't fight with them, just ask them to drop the issue. If they don't, walk. If they do... then stay as long as you are happy with them.
[notify]
Lobo

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 7:07pm PST 
Mulder, applause

I've always been pretty bold and open, but before I knew I could have other options in vet, I was constantly being told that Lobo was unhealthy because of his diet. It frustrated me to no end because I couldn't seem to get them to drop it. They even automatically jumped to bones being stuck in Poppy's throat when he developed a cough. Turns out, it was bronchitis. And those vets aren't the ones who figured it out, we did. By ourselves. Poppy only goes in now for nail trims, and that's it. I don't even talk about Lobo anymore if I have to go up there with Poppy. I'm willing to pay $5 for a nail trim for Lobo if it means my vet won't hassle me about what I'm feeding.

But I think that, as Mulder and everyone else has pointed out, if they aren't pushy, and you like them as a whole, stay.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 8:01pm PST 
Jocie..can you at least spell your own trainer's name correctly when you push his fabulosity all over the Dogster forums? laugh out loud shrug
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 10:56pm PST 
Love the use of "fabulosity" Squ'mey!! laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3