GO!

Vet Is Anti Raw, Should I Still Go?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 6:11pm PST 
So I've been searching around for a cheaper vet in the area. I found one that seemed good, and interviewed them. On paper, one of the questions I had was about raw diets and what the vet thought of them. I feed a raw diet, so this answer is important. Here is exactly what I asked and the answers I got, I like most of them, though the raw one really bugs me. In your opinion should I still go to this vet?

Q: "What is your opinion of raw diets"

A: "In a word: Poop - see what I did there" (Not sure if I can use bad language on this site) "Risk of Salmonella and e coli is really high for animals and humans. Does seem to work for some dogs." (This answer annoys me especially since dogs normally have some Salmonella in their systems)

Q: When is the best time to neuter a male Great Dane

A: 1.5-2 years and 'pexy it's stomach at the same time

Q: What is the best food for a young puppy?

A: How young? REALLY young I'd say dog's milk (Yeah I may have wanted to phrase that question differently laugh out loud

Q: What vaccinations are recommended for an indoor cat?

A: Feline Distemper, Rabies (Law requires it)

So what do you think? Any opinions would help! Should I go to a vet that doesn't support or know anything about raw when that's what I feed?
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 8:27pm PST 
That's entirely up to you.

My Vet was one of the best in town before he retired, amazing, and he wasn't pro-raw. At the time, Charlie was solely on raw. In fact, when I first took Charlie to him, he said, "I've never seen a fit Beagle walk through my doors. Whatever you're doing... what is it btw? Keep doing it."

So I told him he just gets proper exercise and is fed a raw diet. He didn't lecture me on it.

Honestly, as long as the Vet didn't lecture me on it(especially since they aren't taught about Nutrition in Vet school anyway), I'd be okay with going to them, as long as they knew where -I- stood.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 8:31pm PST 
I have a wonderful vet - we are on the same page about many things but she doesn't agree with feeding a raw diet. She knows I feed raw and never brings it up because she realizes that I'm going to make up my own mind about what I feed. Would I switch vets just because she doesn't agree with what I feed? No. She takes good care of my dogs and we have a good relationship.
The bottom line comes down to what type of care will your dog receive and if you trust your vet. If you trust your vet otherwise and are confident in his abilities to take care of your dog then does it really matter what his opinions are about what you feed?
[notify]

Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 9:05pm PST 
Alright thanks everyone. The reason I was apprehensive is because he seemed quite uninformed about raw. It's fine if he doesn't support it, I'd just prefer if he at least understood why and how it's fed. I've heard lots of stories about how with blood tests and whatnot things come back different on raw and such, and vets that don't understand raw will think it's a problem.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 9:17pm PST 
In general, if you get on with a vet in other ways and feelings about raw won't affect diagnosis and care, I'd say it's not that big of a deal. A willingness on the vet's part to learn would be ideal in the situation where they're not informed.

Just an observation: It doesn't really seem like this guy was taking your questions seriously with the candid nature of the answer about raw and joke about the puppy food. Sure, a sense of humor and good "bedside manner" is nice, but a quality I look for in a vet is taking me and my questions and concerns seriously, and addressing them adequately.

I'd continue the hunt, and if this guy seems to be the best out of who you have access to, then so be it! Good luck!
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 6:34am PST 
After almost 7 years of raw feeding, minimal vaccines and utilizing holistic care with conventional medicine, anti-raw is becoming a deal-breaker for me. The ideals involved in feeding raw are closely linked to ideas like minimal vaccines and alternative remedies. More and more I find that it's an all or nothing deal.

Some vets are more balanced than others, but for the most part someone who doesn't see the value of fresh foods is also not going to see the value of less shots or a herbal compliment to help ease an ailment. All well and good when I can research the basics and hold my own on issues like age to speuter and what/when to vaccinate, but when there's a real illness in play I won't know my alternatives without going home and doing my own research. I want my vet to be the one guiding me in those situations, not vice-versa. I want to go home feeling good about our treatment plan from the diagnosing visit, not thinking "well at least this will get us by until I know what other options I have."

That being said, New England is densely populated and the towns I frequent seem to average 3 different vet hospitals with 2 - 5 vets each. That leaves thousands of options within an hour's drive. It's also worth noting that I do still drive about 45 min to get to my vet, as do most people I know.

Weigh all your options. If you don't have many where you live, make the best of what you can find. But if you're in an area like me, keep looking until you find something you really like.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 10:28am PST 
My vet is not only anti-raw, but she is anti-raw and vegan as well. Not that I care if someone chooses to be vegan or not, but she absolutely cringed when she found out Farley eats raw, and seemed especially disgusted and emotionally disturbed when I said he eats whole rabbits and piglets (among other things).

Thing is, even though she is anti-raw, she gives him excellent bills of health each checkup, and goes on about how insanely clean and white his teeth are for being 6 years old. Of course, she probably doesn't attribute any of this to raw, but I certainly do.

Keep in mind if you like the vet otherwise, it might be okay as long as they respect your educated decision to feed raw. Reassure her of your research and your dog's progress if you can. Also keep in mind if your dog ever does get sick or hurt in the future, an anti-raw vet may jump to feeding raw as the cause. Also, since raw feeding has outright been officially bashed by the AVMA, your vet may feel less hesitant to give any approval for it.

In my situation, Farley's health speaks for itself. I ignore the vet's anti-raw rhetoric and let her see his health for herself. In fact, he only really sees the vet for checkups because he is so healthy. In the end, I'd say do what you are comfortable with. If the raw thing causes a serious clash between you and your vet, it wouldn't hurt to look around for a different vet. Many vets don't know much about raw feeding and I have heard of some Dogster members that have been asked by their vets to provide information about raw feeding so they can learn more about it.
[notify]
Jocie Anna- Dorkus

Miss Spitfire

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 9:01pm PST 
Both my vet and my dog trainer recommend Royal Canin kibble. By the way my dog trainer happens to have multiple national champions in his histroy of training...and not just for the Usa smile his name is Neal D Lease and he said its a premium food. His dog which are outside and bigger dogs are on eagle power pack. For each different size and lifestyle there is a different feed that will work best. Also he said kibble is good and raw food is not needed.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 9:40pm PST 
"Also he said kibble is good and raw food is not needed."

I had no idea! I am going to go through my fridge and throw out all the fresh, whole foods and only eat dry corn pops and a multivitamin every day for the rest of my life.
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 10:56pm PST 
Wow then I think your vet and trainer are quite misinformed. Dogs, which are carnivores, should not be having a diet of mostly corn, wheat, and other fillers with barely any meat. It's just common sense shrug I put my cats on RC when I didn't know any better, and I can assure you, they didn't do well on it. They threw up just about every hour, took them to the vet who saw nothing wrong medically and told me to change the food. I changed them over to a good quality food and what do you know? They got completely better. Also, your trainer keeps a pack of dogs outdoors? I recommend you do some research of your own and not just listen to two people.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3