GO!

Transitioning to ratio

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Joey

Joey Bruno

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 1:55pm PST 
Joey has been introduced to most proteins (chicken, turkey, pork, fish, beef)and still doing fine, so after a few more days of beef and then introducing organs I would like to start tranisitioning to the 80/10/5/5 ratio. I really like schedules and would like to have one I can use with a variety of meats trying to keep 50% red meat. This is what I have come up with so far, any suggestions/concerns?

Joey (168 oz) 57-60 lb

Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday
(add egg 1-2 x week)
AM: 1 leg quarter (16 oz)
PM: 8 oz red boneless meat

Monday and Friday
AM: 4 oz liver plus 8 oz ground or boneless meat
PM: 12 oz red boneless meat

Wed and Saturday
AM: 4 oz other organ plus 8 oz red boneless meat
PM: 12 oz fish or other
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 3:27pm PST 
I would definitely feed the organ with the bony stuff! The following meal can be boneless meat, just whatever it takes to fill out the ounces needed.

Feeding a chicken quarter every other day is precisely 10% bone. You might want to feed two in a row, skip a day for a week or two at first. I kept a journal of what was going in and what came out for a couple months until I figured out what worked. A supply of 'small bone' items were ready for what I wanted to be boneless days if the previous day's poop from a bone/organ meal seemed insufficiently firm. For Max I used small whole fish and chicken feet. Racks of chicken ribs might be useful for larger dogs.

I found that feeding less food on boneless days and more on bone days works well for Max. He gets about 20 ounces over 2 days so the bone and organ part are fed with the meat part one day and he gets boneless meat the next. 12 ounces one day and 8 the following day. Your dog might get that chicken quarter, organ and meat totaling 29 ounces and the next day get 19 ounces of boneless meat. Or maybe 27 and 21, keep track and work it out.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 7:21pm PST 
I second feeding organ and bone on the same day.

I like schedules too but always seemed such a hassle to actually prepare them.

Now I do like a week by week thing... because raw meat can stay in the fridge for some days before it's bad (especially in dog standards).

I feed Cookie off the same chunk Monday-Friday. the chunk is the correct amount of food she needs for 5 days so no matter if she gets a little more one day and a little less another day. she's getting the right amount over the period of 5 days.
Then I use weekends to feed other types of meat and things that I find to feed.
[notify]

Joey

Joey Bruno

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 7:37pm PST 
Thanks! Makes total sense. I got a great deal on frozen while tilapia today. If I feed fish once a week or so on average no need to supplement omegas right?
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 9:22pm PST 
Unfortunately all fish hasn't high omega 3. Tilapia is farmed and fed grain so has quite a poor omega 3 to 6 ratio of 1:1 where something like mackerel has 122 parts omega 3 to 1 part omega 6. Max would have to eat about half tilapia to get his omega 3s in and probably couldn't be convinced to eat that much!
[notify]
Joey

Joey Bruno

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 10:09am PST 
Ah didn't think of that, thanks. Does it matter much that these were fresh from a fishing trip and not from the grocery store?
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 12:59pm PST 
I bet it does!

Wild catfish has Omega-3 fatty acids 150mg and Omega-6 fatty acids 28.3mg while farmed has Omega-3 fatty acids 129mg and Omega-6 fatty acids 245mg. Since tilapia is another lean white fleshed fish it likely would go the same way. Good omega 3:6 balance for itself but not enough to balance a diet heavy in grain fed meats the way fatty ocean fish can.

Is wild tilapia tastier than farmed? I hope so, Max barely will touch the stuff from the store.
[notify]
Joey

Joey Bruno

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 9:19am PST 
They both loved the fish. They may have loved it regardless since this is the first they have gotten of a whole fish. I usually give sardines.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 6:06pm PST 
That is great. I bet wild fish taste better than farmed fish too.
[notify]