GO!

Performance raw diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 6:54am PST 
Hello all, we're new to the forum.
We're in need of some dietary advice for our three german shepherds, they've all been raw fed from being pups, and are very happy and healthy! we run five days a week with them, and are upto about five miles five days a week, sometimes less depending on whether we ache!

The thing is, we're wanting to do a weeks holiday, of walking/running with camping en-route, but i wanted a bit of advice on their diets, i'm not sure whether to increase their food intake or keep it the same, or if i need to add anything as a supplement.

So is anyone out there who can give us some advice for a performance raw diet please?!

Thanks
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 9:18am PST 
I'm no expert on performance diets, but I do know that fat is the best energy source for dogs followed by protein. If they're going to be getting more regular exercise than they already are, I would definitely increase the calories they're getting, particularly the fat content, (as fat is very calorie-dense).
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 1:23pm PST 
When we took Sassy on back packing trips we packed 1.5x her usual, she got dishwashing duty and still came home a scarecrow. Our trips were very easy, maybe 3 miles a day and we only went out for a couple days and she still came home 10% lighter than she went out. Pack double the usual if you keep fat content the same. If you think more fat would help then try it out before the trip, you don't want to get caught with an upset tummy during the trip. Actually fattening the dogs up before might not be a horrible idea anyway.
[notify]

Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 6:35pm PST 
Everyone I know who does long trips like that with their dogs feeds double for the duration, it might be worth feeding two meals if you are not already, if your dogs aren't used to gorge meals. Upping the fat content is another good idea, but instinct says you would have to up it be quite a lot, so maybe a combination of the two ideas?
[notify]

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 1:23am PST 
Thanks for the replies everyone, we had thought that increasing fat would be the best way to give them the extra calories, we generally up their food and fat intake if we're doing a lot of running or doing a big walk.

We're trying to plan butchers along the route so we can collect along the way rather than take a load with us!

We already give them a joint supplement as a preventative, is there anything else which anyone would recommend giving them?

And regarding feeding frequency, we feed every day, but how much and how often depends on what they've been doing, if we've all had an easy week or a few rest days then we'll feed once a day and not too much, and more protein, whereas if we've done a lot of exercise it might be two meals and more fat for the extra demand.
We try to use common sense rather than get too wrapped up in counting calories, -if they look a bit lean, we'll feed them more, if they look a bit heavier, cut them back a bit.

Edited by author Tue Oct 16, '12 1:30am PST

[notify]
Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 3:04pm PST 
From the sound of it they will cope really well with the trip then, you sound like you know what you are doing! Have fun, and don't forget to show us some pictures of your pups enjoying themselves on the trip
[notify]