GO!

Dumpster Diving

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 10:48pm PST 
I watched a documentary on people dumpster diving from grocery stores. The whole time I kept thinking I could do that and feed my dog the meat grocery stores throw out. The entire documentary kept giving me ideas. I need to save money and he's almost out of dog food.

Does anybody do this?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 1:17am PST 
I would (only in winter), if there weren't locked gates and security cameras around all of my grocery dumpsters and laws criminalizing it.

Edited by author Mon Oct 15, '12 1:17am PST

[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 7:24am PST 
Yeah heat would be an issue.. I would never do it if I was so low on money and needed meat badly I'd go hunt Saya some rabbit and squirrels as there is tons around in the country..

I'd probably go to management and see if they mind selling me at low cost meat that just gone expired or very close to it.

Luckily I have decent sources on good priced and good quality meat..

I get free game birds like goose, duck, and dove from someone which helps with feeding.
[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 3:52pm PST 
Hey Milton! My fiance an I dumpster dive for food at our local Trader Joe's. We usually go once a week and come back with quite a bit of good produce, bread, and some baked goods.

We had been very busy planning a wedding up until recently, so we had not gone again since the summer months. In the summer, meat went rancid VERY fast, but we are very excited to get good meat, milk and eggs in the cold months! During the summer we once found two whole garbage bags full of organic beef, chicken, haddock and scallops... two bad it was all stinky in the sun!

As a general rule, we carefully inspect everything we choose at the dumpster, and then a second time when we bring it home and rinse and package it. We will not eat anything that appears tampered with, or looks or smells funny. I have never once gotten sick from all the dumpster produce I have eaten.

_____
EDIT: Another note.. if you live in the USA and your state does not have a specific anti-dumpster diving law, then it is 100% legal to take from an open dumpster. Dumpsters are considered public property unless locked. You cannot by law take from a locked dumpster. You also cannot take anything outside of the dumpster, as it may be for donation and could be considered stealing.

Edited by author Mon Oct 15, '12 3:55pm PST

[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 3:53pm PST 
Even if it was legal, I couldn't dig through a nasty dumpster of rotten meat, produce and who knows what else.

Have you tried posting an add on Craigslist or Freecycle for old/freezer-burned meat? Or checked for a Yahoo! raw group/co-op in your area? I scored huge this way...found out about a a source for lots of stuff under $.50/lb. Butchers/processors/restaurant wholesalers are another place to potentially score cheap meat. Also check ethnic markets and last-day bins at the grocery store. And don't forget to tell friends and family you will help out if they have old meat lurking in the dark corners of the deep-freezer! I have actually gotten a ton of free dog food this way.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Oct 17, '12 7:28am PST 
I have heard that meat processing places will often let you get scraps. I would think that outdated meat would be better then a lot of the dog food available out there.

If it is legal in your state, go see what they have. It doesn't cost anything to look and wasting food is a shame. (are you on the raw forum? They have a lot of tips for getting low cost/free meat)
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 7:07pm PST 
when i dumpster dived, there was only veggies, no meat or anything else. they have compacters now that squish all the food togeather. but the produce has to be recycled by law here in canada. or at least toronto. but i think if there was meat thrown away, i would worry about the state of it.

you can ask on freecycle though, i got some off there. people dont want thier freezer burnt meat or have too much or become vegetarians ect.... post a ad for raw meat on freecycle..
[notify]