GO!

Weak/Brittle Nails - How Can I Improve Nail Quality with Raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Zack

Move or I'll- plough you down!- (lovingly)

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 1:04pm PST 
Hi, Zack has REALLY bad nails, they're always splitting and breaking off and stuff so they're quite weak. I was wondering if there was anything that I could add to his raw diet to improve their quality. Any suggestions? He also has really rough pads (they're like sandpaper in some places!) I don't know if this is related to the weak nails but I thought I'd mention it..

I read that I could add Biotin but I'd really like to be able to add something substantial rather than a pill/powder (i.e. would more bone help?). I'm a bit funny with adding pills/powders to Zacks food, I'd like to avoid it if possible but as a last resort I could be persuaded..
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 3:33pm PST 
No idea!

A natural source of biotin is egg yolk though. One would think that a good amount of fat and protein would be good for nails.

Max has pads on his rear dewclaws. The skin on them is exactly the same as it was before raw, thick and split. I think it just never ever touches the ground so it doesn't slough off like the skin on the rest of his pads.
[notify]
Zack

Move or I'll- plough you down!- (lovingly)

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 1:52am PST 
Hi Max,

he hasn't had raw egg in a while, he generally only gets it when I'm cracking egg shells and I put the empty shells in his bowl and he licks whatever is left out. I'll start giving him a raw egg once every one or two weeks and see if that helps, thanks smile
[notify]

Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 10:47am PST 
Just wondering if you've ever had this looked at by a vet? Sometimes brittle nails can be a symptom of an auto-immune disorder (it's not all that common, but I've personally seen it a few times) or infection. Sometimes it's just from a nutritional deficiency and adding foods rich in omega 3's can help. But if it's been something that's been going on for a while, I would have it checked out before really giving any diet recommendations.
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 11:35am PST 
You should be able to get Biotin by itself as a supplement, or you can feed Swiss Chard smile
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 2:06pm PST 
You don't have dry air do you? My vet told me he can tell who runs a humdifier by their dog's nails. shrug
[notify]