GO!

Want to prepare for the future.

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Moose

Rockin' Rainbow- Bridge!

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 4:57pm PST 
Hey all it has almost been a year since I have had a dog of my own. (Not counting a couple of fosters.)

Well, I am starting to prepare for my next dog. He will be my SDIT. I wont have him for a while so I am refreshing myself with stuff I learned what seems so long ago.

I have never fully fed raw, except with Moose, whom got ground and mixed meat/bone/organ from a local supplier.

The main things I am concerned about is being able to feed raw while doing active training. I wont be training with treats out in public but at home I will be using clicker rewards.

A recipe that someone has for meat only treats that wouldn't mess with raw like kibble does would be awesome.

Another question was I know someone on here had a spread sheet that helps you figure out how much to feed a dog. Can someone link that please? (Does anyone have one for a cat?..)

More resources like good sites to purchase meat, or good info site are welcomed.

Thank you!

wave
[notify]
Daisy

Use your nose!

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 9:56pm PST 
I can only answer one thing, but I know people will be along with the links and such soon. way to go

For the treats for training, you can use dehydrated treats of the raw parts you would otherwise feed. Like dehydrated beef trachea, heart, or turkey heart, or chicken livers, heats, etc. The list is endless what you can make yourself. Not sure where you could purchase them already dehydrated though. And of course some dogs don't have a problem with regular treats, just like some dogs can eat kibble and raw at the same time.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 10:15pm PST 
Dehydrated foods can definitely work as training treats, either making your own or buying them. You could probably find something in pet supply stores or you can order them from someplace like Hare Today, which is also a good place to buy meat, if you can buy in bulk. Or as Daisy said, most raw fed dogs are fine with non-raw treats.

Here's the spreadsheet: Personal Raw Feeding Guide

I'd also recommend reading Chance's most excellent Beginner's Guide To Prey Model Raw PDF.

ETA: My Pet Carnivore is another site you could look into for meat. If you're near enough to keep shipping reasonable, the prices are quite good.

Edited by author Tue Oct 2, '12 10:17pm PST

[notify]

Moose

Rockin' Rainbow- Bridge!

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 5:48pm PST 
Thank you! I will check out that thread and those sites.

Thanks for the link to the feeding guide as well. way to go
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Oct 10, '12 10:42pm PST 
I use freeze-dried meat treats, freeze-dried tripe, Stella and Chewy's Crunch and Chance is addicted to Charlee Bear treats.

I don't know where you are but you can see if there are any co-ops. I belong to a large one and can get some very good deals.
I do a lot of my shopping at the store, paying attention to sales and going after I know they will have marked meats down for short sales.

Edited by author Wed Oct 10, '12 10:46pm PST

[notify]