GO!

Having problems maintaining proper wt, help?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 9:54pm PST 
Mitchell is a 13 mo old intact Golden Retriever (I really need to update his pictures but cannot link up camera for some reason) he seems extremely healthy, hikes daily (long, busy hikes) he does tracking weekly and has a busy life. He is fed Darwins (raw, made in Seattle, delivered every 5 weeks to my house) I do supplement with homemade food and yummy fresh treats, he gets rmb weekly.
After all that introduction, I am having trouble getting wt on him, he is currently 76.7# and has lost 1 lb since last week. I just did bloodwork at work on him, it is all completely normal, urine: normal. Hair/coat: like silk. Teeth/gum: beautiful. Eyes: bright,alert.
But, geez....he looks so skinny. If he had short hair you would be able see his ribs and hipbones.
The Vets I work with all say he looks great and not to worry so much but I do.
I have met with a friend who is a intregrative Vet who leans more towards holistic, I was seeking his nutritional expertise, he says that his diet is great, he does state that he "runs very warm" pertaining to chinese medicine/ body meridians and to "cool" him down alittle by taking some certain foods away and adding some others (the list is long) which I am doing.
All the Vets I work with state that once I neuter him things will change and I will be wanting to keep him on the thin side. I have never had a male that stays on the skinny side.
Sorry so long, I am worried that I am underfeeding him but wow! if I added too much more he would be eating 4% of his body wt.
Help please.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 8:01pm PST 
What to do about a healthy, active, happy dog that vets agree isn't too skinny? Pat yourself on the back and enjoy it! Likely that's a healthy weight for him and efforts to fatten him up aren't going to do much, anyway. Don't look to others to tell you how your dog is supposed to look/feel. Even conformation show dogs are often not kept at healthy weights or levels of muscle tone. If he's healthy and well that's all that matters.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 8:25pm PST 
Like Meridian said, I wouldn't worry. Keeping a dog, especially a large breed, on the lean side is definitely better than letting them carry around extra pounds. Since he is intact, he may need a little more than 3%, but I'd say his age could also be playing a factor. Onyx, also an intact male, dropped several pounds over the course of a few months at around Mitchell's age. He's leaner now than he once was, but I'm actually happier with his body condition without the "puppy fat" (he was never actually fat, just not as lean as he is now).
[notify]

Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 9:44pm PST 
Hey there, thank you for the posts and thoughts. Mitchell actually looks super healthy to me even if I can feel his ribs, I guess I have just been reacting to what others are saying whenever I out with him say at the local dog park, at the stores, and a few clients at the clinic.
After seeing so many overwt dogs at the clinic and out and about, Mitchell looks skinny.
I am fairly new at completely feeding raw so I am still full of questions. Both my dogs seem super healthy, they are very active participating in all sorts of doggy fun stuff.
So thanks again for calming my fears. Just a newbie red face
[notify]