GO!

Have to go to half-and-half for a little while.. First time is over 2 years!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 1:46pm PST 
Sad to say that Charlie and Zelda will be eating partial raw and partial kibble for at least a few weeks. Between a full-time job, part-time college courses, and planning my wedding (this weekend), I have no time to spend planning raw. I feel terrible that I haven't balanced in their organs or tripe in several months. They don't look nearly as healthy as they used to.

I've bought them a quality kibble (Orijen), and I plan to pre-soak it for meals. I'd like to either do a raw topper or a few raw meals a week. Does anyone have suggestions of what raw items you would add to a partial kibble diet? You would just stick to RMBs for teeth-cleaning? Or would you top kibble with tripe or organ or boneless meat?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 4:25pm PST 
Eggs for sure. They help a lot with my kibble-fed dogs.

I'd probably do a raw meal, then a kibble meal, and not do too much mixing. There's nothing wrong with mixing, but it's just easier for me (and I don't forget things) if I do them separately.
[notify]
Zoe

Take me to the- River!

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 9:50pm PST 
We are doing half and half right now too. Have run out of venison and can't afford to buy the right combos of eveything else. We do raw in the morning and kibble in the evening. I keep my percentages the same just on a smaller scale. Good luck with everything you have going on!
[notify]

Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 10:14am PST 
Honestly... I'm about in the same boat as you in regards to mayb trying half n half. I lost my raw supplier, so I have to get it elsewhere now and prices have gone up and I have to drive quite a ways to get it... So my dogs just aren't getting the variety.

Natures Variety makes a "raw boost" kibble that has chunks of freeze-dried raw in it in addition to the kibble. I'm considering trying that... At least until I can figure something else out. I just feel like my dogs aren't thriving the way they did before and I know it's because I just don't have as much access as I used to...

My other consideration was adding in something like Preference or Grandma Lucy's Base mix just so at least I can be reassured that they are getting what they need. I hate the thought of this... But my dogs aren't benefitting at this point so I need to do something else in the meantime.

Edited by author Wed Oct 3, '12 10:17am PST

[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 11:38am PST 
Little update... they really like the Orijen. I'm so glad I don't have picky dogs smile.

I don't see any sign that they are thriving less, though their stool is already a bit larger and I need to start picking it up because I know it won't crumble.
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 7:02pm PST 
We do the same. Usually Addie has a kibble breakfast ( orijen or acana) and a scaled down raw dinner. Some days we do full raw. I usually try to feed a balanced raw meal when I do. I either do chicken thigh, giblets, heart, liver and bit of sojos mixed in, or whole rabbit chunks with sojos that has organs still attached. Today my supply ran low so I did a chicken breast, duck neck, heart, liver and sojos. I was initially scared about feeding bones, but it has helped so much with Addie's teeth. I'd certainly recommend still feeding occasional RMB's when you can.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 7:24pm PST 
I'm glad your crew likes Orijen!

Honestly, the only differences I noticed when I put Rexy back onto Orijen last year for a couple of months was that her breath was a bit smellier and the poops were a bit bigger. No difference in energy level or coat. smile

And the smelly breath was fixed with regular RMBs.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 7:34am PST 
I might have to go there myself...I am possibly going to be fostering two dogs from a situation where the owner has developed long term health problems. They are both overweight, so with my experience dieting Savvy I can work on that. But in actual fact it will be pretty tough to feed raw to SIX dogs, four of them large.

So I am faced with an ethical issue. Do I show preference to my dogs and feed them raw, while feeding the others kibble? (Not sure what they currently eat, but it isn't raw.) Or should I go half and half for equal shares for all?

Hmmmn. Still waiting on whether this is going to happen...if the owner has to go into assisted living or not...or chooses another foster. We shall see.
[notify]