GO!

Not about dogs, but anyone raw feed a ferret before

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 7:36pm PST 
I am interested in possibly starting raw for my ferret, but am not sure if it is the same for ferrets as it is for dogs. Is the 2-3% of body weight right for a ferret too? Should they have the 80-10-10 ratio as well? What kind of prey item can they eat? Mice, rats? Any links anyone has to websites explaining things more in depth would be greatly appreciated. Or anyone who has tips and has done this for their ferrets please chime in!
[notify]
Tessa- Sue~*In- loving- memory*~

Gone. But the- ledgend lives on

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 7:50pm PST 
I have 4 ferrets which are raw fed. Whole prey that I have fed include mice, rats, rabbits (pinkies and 1 pound or smaller furred babies), fetal goat, piglets, squirrel, quail and small chickens that have been partially plucked. I have also fed meat from deer, cow, beaver, ground hog, goat, pig, lamb/mutton, fish, rabbit and possibly some other things which I cannot think of.

Most people feed a diet heavier in bone and feed as much as the ferrets will eat.

I used to be a ferret raw feeding mentor but no longer have the time or patience for it. Here is the website though
http://holisticferret60.proboards.com/index.cgi?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 10:07pm PST 
I second checking out the Holistic Ferret Forum. Really great people and info there. Ferrets that have eaten kibble their whole lives can be difficult to switch to raw, more like switching a cat than most dogs. The HFF members have a ton of experience switching fuzzies and can help you out a lot in that regard.

I feed mine whole prey mice, rats, chicks, rabbit, quail, and guinea pig, mostly because it takes basically no effort to balance, but prey model can work as well. Ferrets will generally self regulate so I've never worried about amount, I let them eat as much as they want.

Edited by author Thu Sep 27, '12 10:08pm PST

[notify]

Radley

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 9:09am PST 
Thanks for the advice guys! That forum does have a lot of great info, I'll look more in depth today as it was late last night by the time I had a chance to check it out. Feeding rats, mice, etc sounds so easy! I have 2 snakes so I always have them available anyway. Where do you get the quail and chicks from? Online?
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 10:32am PST 
hare-today.com has mice, quail of different ages and guinea pigs, they have rabbits too.

There is a few places rodentpro I think?

I only gotten whole quail from hare today Saya loved it.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 10:49am PST 
You can get them online but I raised my own quail for a while. It is very easy as well. I have fed chicks too thinking Those came from farmers locally. When they had any die I got them. I also got ducklings that way.

I even fed the ferrets any partially developed quail and duck eggs that ended up dying in my incubator before they hatched.

Come to think of it I may have even tried to feed them snake. It was a baby rat snake that someone killed because they thought it was a rattle snake cry

Ferrets can and will really eat just about anything. When friends butcher chickens that save me the heads, feet and innards. I always pick out the organs and gizzards for the ferrets.

It is fun watching them with small rabbits or other things close to their size. Crazy to think that something so small has all that power
[notify]
Radley

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 4:46pm PST 
Ah I didn't think about hare today. Shipping is what kills me on that though. They are crazy strong for being so little! I'll have to see if I can make some connections with anyone who has feeders in town I guess. As far as getting them to eat it, did you guys have a hard time?
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 5:06pm PST 
I have had a total of 6 ferrets. Only 1 was hard to switch. A couple may have took some time to go from ground to meat chunks but for the most part everyone took to it like fish to water.
[notify]
Radley

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 6:55pm PST 
Good to know, thanks. I have a ferret nation cage, 2 level. With bedding sets and fabric all over, how do you keep your ferts from getting the meat all over everything?
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 7:29pm PST 
My crew isn't currently 100% litter trained so I don't keep bedding in all the pans. I just have a "nest" box with fabric in them.

Something that has worked in the past prior to my rescue of a horribly abused girl (the one who isn't totally box trained) was getting woven floor mats at the dollar store. That way you can shake it out outside and get all the little pieces of bone, fur and feathers off and wash when needed. The mats can be placed over your normal bedding or in a specific place where they prefer to eat, such as a corner.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2