GO!

Trying raw again, a couple of questions

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 2:16pm PST 
Ralph is starting raw again due to allergies. We stopped before because we lived in a condo and clean up was a real PITA. Now I own a house and I make him eat outside.

Anyways, hes a pug x shih tzu, 18 lbs. When feeding him kibble, he needs to eat 2x a day or he'll throw up from hunger (not even kidding).

Does anyone here feed twice a day and if so, what is a sample menu? Hes a gulper, so I dont mind feeding him a chicken portion in the evening when I'm there to watch, but in the AM, I dont have time to stand around and make sure hes consuming safely.

My second question is this, I use dried liver treats for training daily. Its not much, maybe the amount of 2 thumbnails in total, so should I still be serving him raw liver, or just count the treats as his liver? From what I gather, he still needs other organ meats to round out his meals.

TIA
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 2:37pm PST 
Hey, nice to meet another pugzu on here! party Bella gets her raw twice per day. Mainly I feed whole chicken/will be feeding whole rabbit soon when I find it. In the morning she gets a small bit of ground beef, pork, and organ which I put all her supplements in (She's got tons of skin/ear issues) then before going to bed is when I give her a piece of a whole chicken. The rest of the stuff I feed is just whatever happens to be a good price when I go to the store and organs.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 2:49pm PST 
Definitely count the liver treats as part of his diet! Big dogs don't need to worry about that so much but even 38 pound Max has to watch how many snacks he gets. I made liver jerky, I think an ounce shrunk to about .6 ounces. And yes, you do need to find other organ. Kidney is the easiest one for me to find.

Twice a day was annoying with Mr Poop-per-meal Max. If I fed a boneless meal and a bony meal lucky me got a soft poop and a firm poop. For normal dogs feeding a smaller easy to eat boneless meal and a larger more fun bony meal each day is just fine.
[notify]

Jazz

Surf's up, let's- go to the beach!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 3:56pm PST 
Jazz is about the same size (16lbs.) She will throw up too if I don't feed her in the morning. It's not hunger, it's a build up of acids in the empty belly that causes it. I have no time for messing around with raw in the morning so I give her 1/4 cup of grain free kibble & raw at dinnertime. It's worked out great.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 6:07pm PST 
Cookie had those 'hunger pukes' for a little while because of raw.... I fed her twice a day for a while, but switched to once a day but despite that, after a while the puking stopped.

I feed her once in the morning now, and she gets treats in the evening.

the diet IS 80% meat, it would be totally okay for you to feed a chunk of boneless meat in the morning. Your dog can gulp away and I'm sure it would be gone in a second.
something like beef cheek or beef shoulder to get more for your money.
[notify]
Ralphie

The Ralphinator

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 4:10pm PST 
Thanks folks. One last question, chicken entrails, what are they? Are they considered an organ or meat?
[notify]