GO!

Need Help with Blood Test Results

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Crouton

Please God let- me catch a bird

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 12:20am PST 
I haven't posted in a while but Crouton has been rawfed for aboout 3 years now. My problem is that I took her to get a senior physical and blood test (she's 12 now). Well we got her results back and the doctor told me she's perfectly healthy. Only her BUN/Creatinine levels were really high and that coupled with a really high cholesterol level and her senior status will ultimately result in kidney problems in the next couple of years.

He also said thank goodness we caught it early enough so that we can put her on a senior dog food because this is a perfect case of food not fitting the dog.

I don't know what to do and I'm really scared. She's doing really well on raw, seems really healthy and I am currently on the search for a holistic vet to get a second opinion, (if anyone can recommend one in the Los Angeles CA area I'd appreciate it.

If someone can take a look at her results and give me input I'd really appreciate it.

Pic of Blood test results
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 4:44am PST 
I would NOT worry about these test results in the slightest. The BUN is barely elevated. By one point. That is statistically insignificant. The creatinine is NORMAL. That is the one I would be concerned about if it was elevated. Same with cholesterol, just slightly above normal. If you pulled blood an hour later or even re-ran the test you would get slightly different numbers. I only worry about elevations that are seriously above the baseline of normal. Croutons are not.

Remember that blood tests were calibrated on kibble fed dogs. There are some differences to be expected.

But Croutons blood test actually looks fine to me! If you are super concerned, go ahead and retest in 6 months and compare findings, but I would not worry about these numbers at all. And I certainly would NOT change the diet.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 5:28am PST 
I agree with Brody...no way would I worry about those results, especially with a senior dog!!!!
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 7:52am PST 
Agree with Brody. BUN can increase while waiting for the blood draw if the dog is anxious and panting!

Remember this is simply a snapshot of how he was at that moment. My vet gives me a discount if I get more than one blood draw in a given period of time. To get a better picture of how he is doing you could have another draw done at the far end of that time period.

Since cholesterol was high be sure to fast him before the draw.
[notify]
Crouton

Please God let- me catch a bird

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 6:31pm PST 
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm not going to take her off raw she does great on it. But I'm especially concerned about the cholesterol level being higher even though she had fasted for 18 hours. She's definitely not overweight so is there any protein that is lower in cholesterol so I can remedy it. Is fish good?
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 3:45am PST 
I would have Croutons thyroid checked.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_multi_hy perlipidemia?page=show#.UGQt4a6P1D8
[notify]