GO!

Commercial Raw Diets vs. Home Based Raw Diets

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 8:43am PST 
Great thanks, I still have another question dealing with the difference between commercial raw and home based raw diets.

Similar to kibble, commercial based raw diets consist of a constant recipe that is repeated day in and day out. If you look at the different flavors they offer, the recipe is the same and the only thing that varies is the meat used (i.e. chicken, beef, etc). And when you purchase these commercial raw diets, you usually buy a bag of chicken or beef or some other meat. So when you buy a bag of food your still feeding your dog the same thing every day.

The question of variety comes into play. Just as humans don't eat perfectly balanced meals everyday or the same thing day. The commercial raw diets available today have the dogs eating the same thing every day.

Should dogs be getting a varied diet and eating different things each day? How important is it that dogs eat varied diets? And how varied would a wolf's diet be in the wild?

I know I have a lot of questions, thanks to those who are taking the time to break everything down for me!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 2:43pm PST 
You likely would rotate between different flavors and try out different brands of premade anyway.

Max gets as many proteins as I can find because I am balancing his diet to current NRC levels and keeping within my budget. I am not using a random variety of meats hoping that it all works out. I am not buying all the cheapest meats I can find and calling it good.

It is fine to feed through a bag and then move to a different bag. I feed through a chunk of this before moving to a bag of that which can take as long as 4-5 days to finish off.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 8:52pm PST 
pasteurization is a huge bonus for pre-made, expecially if you have a cranky vet thta won't see eye to eye with your coices (read: a shill for hills via the vet association) Pre-made raw is usually pasteurized specifically to be eaten raw. Some companies steam, NV instinct uses high pressure pasteurization. That is something you don't get with home design.

Also, you might add freeze dried to your list. It's raw once reconstituted and more convenient than frozen raw. I know lots of raw feeders keep a bag of zwipeak, NV, sojos complete, stella and chewys, or some such brand for emergencies even if they normally have a home prepared diet. Sometimes, you might have a power outage, or a car breakdown, or some other emergency and freeze dried helps during that sort of time. Or for all the time. Mine are enjoying sojos right now. It's good if you like a BARF style raw for your dogs. Not every raw feeder does.

As for switching up, yeah. It's a matter of opinion. I do. I believe that dogs should enjoy as varied a diet as possible even if you are on a kibble or can of some kind. I am getting to the point that I walk into a dog food store and I know every product in there, and how my dogs did on it. We're very adventurous. Each protein source has a slightly different profile...and besides would you like to eat a diet of corn flakes every day for the rest of your life? why should a dog want the same food all the time? The single food type diet is best for dogs with allergies and picky eaters, and of course, human convenience.

Edited by author Wed Sep 26, '12 9:02pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 3:23pm PST 
I have been doing pre-made raw for years but I will use different brands so they get a variety of foods. I try to stay away from the ones that have fruit or veggies in them and I add alot of things from the grocery store like ground beef or lamb, chicken gizzards and hearts, beef hearts, raw eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, sardines and salmon. I also use a little Ziwi Peak mostly because my dogs love it.
The brands I have been using are Vital Essentials which has no fruit or veggies, Primal Grinds and Oma's Pride. Oma's has alot of different proteins and you can get just ground bone, some of their products have a little veggie but not as much as some other brands. Primal grinds also have no carbs.
As far as bones go I don't give them, my one dog is 19, my other likes to swallow things whole and has already had a cracked tooth. I find their teeth stay clean on raw especially on the carb-free foods. I do use Petz-Life spray at nite.
[notify]
Jobi

Clown Dog

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 7:15pm PST 
one thing that botherd me about premade raw was my dogs had to re adjust when i went back to do it myself raw. i thought there would be no probs, but there was. my dogs threw thier food back up cause thier stomach could not digest it. just like when they were coming off of cooked dog food.

plus thier teeth got real dirty on pre made raw. and they over ate. now they are getting trim, and when they are full they walk away from the food.

that is what i have noticed.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2