GO!

Finally (almost) going to do it!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Bambi

Yes, I'm a boy,- just like the- deer!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 4:29pm PST 
So I bought the 6lb bag of Nature's Variety Raw Beef patties. It was only afterwards that I remembered that normally people start with chicken as the protein. I suspect that Bambi has an allergy to something. It could be the rice/grains that are in his current diet, or it could be chicken, or it could even be environmental. He gets a slight red color on the skin between his hind legs sometimes. So I could go and buy the Nature's Variety Chicken, or even just give him some of Daisy's homemade raw meals (mostly chicken) if chicken is the right way to start. Or does it just not matter since I am giving him pre-made?
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 4:50pm PST 
I don't think it matters since you're giving him premade.
NV has their instructions for people to switch over to their full recipe.

But it would not hurt at all to give him some bits of plain raw boney chicken to see if his gut is ready for raw and to give him time to adjust.

unless he is actually allergic to chicken.

don't fret so much. the worst that can happen is that he has a bad poop. unless he has a VERY sensitive stomach or something he should be able to eat raw eventually just fine, no matter what kind it is.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 5:16pm PST 
I would just follow the instructions on how to change the dog over and not feed any chicken if you suspect allergies to the stuff. If he doesn't get red skin while he is going through the beef then he could be reacting to the grains or the chicken in his current diet. So buy a bag of chicken next time and see what happens. If he gets red skin then chicken might be a problem for him.
[notify]