GO!

elimination diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Izzy

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 11:32pm PST 
Hey guys! Been a while since I've been to the forums... I thought maybe you guys could help me again smile

My vet is trying to rule out food intolerance/allergies as the underlying cause of chronic ear infections in my big boy, Mason. She wants me to put him on an elimination diet but I'm running into complications with finding novel protein sources! He eats 2+lbs a day so the cost is going to murder me if I can't find a source for less than $4/lb.

His problems started nearly 4 years ago, long before we ever started raw feeding. He had not been exposed to pork until this year so I would *assume* that means if it IS a food thing, it's probably something ELSE like chicken or beef. I'd even go as far as pointing a finger right at chicken since I feed that every day as a bone source and it seems like a logical culprit (IF it's a food thing at all...). He's only been eating pork for the last 8 months now. I alternated between beef and pork every month so technically it's only been 4 months out of the year. Like I mentioned, I used chicken every day for easy bone inclusion so it's the only food that stays constant. Well... beef organs are a constant too, so I guess that could be a factor as well.

So my question for you guys... Would using pork *exclusively* for the trial be risking skewed results? I'm not sure what to do otherwise because anything else costs an arm and a leg PLUS shipping because I can't find anything 'novel' locally in large quantities.

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks smile
[notify]
Izzy

Barked: Thu Sep 20, '12 11:38pm PST 
Ah, I forgot to mention turkey. I don't remember ever giving turkey, but if I did, it was a rare thing. I asked the vet and she said this fell into the 'poultry' category and that I shouldn't use it because it's too close to chicken to be safe for the test. Is this true? Turkey is far easier and cheaper to obtain than some other options...
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 10:42am PST 
Duke is allergic to chicken and ostrich, but not turkey, goose or duck. They all have wings, but they aren't all the same.

I would try feeding something he has never had before since you don't know what's causing the reaction (if it's even food at all). I have done elimination diets with Duke and knew within a day or two whether the protein in question was the problem. His symptoms would clear up quickly, although I hear it can take weeks in some dogs.

I would try turkey. Do you have access to rabbit or goat? Any Asian markets nearby? Many of them near us sell both. It's not cheap, but if you can swing the higher cost for a short while just to see if you can narrow down the problem, it's worth it.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 11:51am PST 
Just a thought... My Shih Tzu had chronic ear infections. I know you're asking about food alergies, but has yeast infection been ruled out? All I did was put my girl on probiotics. Poof, no more ear infections.

And she does any kind of meat, fowl, etc.
[notify]
Izzy

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 12:47pm PST 
Unfortunately it's not an easy fix like yeast. I wish! He's got Pseudomonas and another gram negative bacteria I can't remember the name of. We're seeing a dermatologist now and since she's pulled out the big guns (special antibiotic drop cocktail and HIGH doses of prednisone), we've managed to get the infection under control. However, his ears started to flare up again after we've stopped the pred, and that's why she wants to test for food issues. We've also run complete thyroid panels and he's been on a very low therapeutic dose of thyroid meds for borderline hypothyroidism since January. He has no other symptoms of allergy outside of the ear problems though... Or hypothyroidism for that matter.

Honestly... I'm not really sure how we'll even notice a difference with this diet since the ear infections start so slow and subtly (though it progresses into something fierce if left alone). This is a difficult case to work with *sigh*

I can only get about 10lbs of rabbit at a time locally and it's $5.60/lb, while lamb and goat is almost $8/lb when I can find it (rarely). Maybe I should go out and hunt nutria? LOL.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 1:15pm PST 
Is hunting common in your area? Last year a guy I know just from seeing him walking his dogs gave me a moose heart & liver because he knew I make treats for Jewel. Some guys at work give me ground elk or deer meat from time to time as well. If you don't know people that actually hunt you could put up a poster at where ever they buy their lisences or at the butcher since a lot of guys don't butcher their own kills anymore.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 7:05pm PST 
Interesting article from a very reputable source:

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/7_10/features/Canine-Ear _15661-1.html

Sorry, I don't know how to do clickable links.

Do you have holistic vets available in your area? If it's something you're open to, acupuncture and Chinese herbal supplements can do wonders. If you could see where Duke was a year ago post-MRSA infection inside his stifle that nearly killed him...and where he is today after a year of holistic treatment, you'd be a believer like I am. He has never been stronger, healthier or more vibrant. And he's a 10-year-old Great Dane mix with severe arthritis and a history of allergies and GI issues.

Just a thought.
[notify]
Sugarbear

Do I hear- someone in the- kitchen!?

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 7:07pm PST 
Our dogs are on llama & rabbit, as my one dog is allergic to beef, lamb, chicken, duck, venison, bison & elk. The cost is pretty high, it's hard to get llama where I am, but we buy in bulk a few times a year to help save a few dollars. It's pricey, but I have also found that all the vet trips & medications cost a lot too.
Especially at this time of year, you should be able to get your hands on some wild meat reasonably priced. Check online at sites like craigslist (or kijiji in you're a canuck). Local farmers markets are a great place to get good quality meats as well. Watch for sales at the local grocery for things like frozen duck or lamb.
Good luck with the diet, it's still an ongoing journey with my guy, but we've learned a lot and his health has vastly improved.
[notify]