GO!

Raw-friendly treats for use in toys

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Mouse

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 5:10pm PST 
Hey folks! Just wondering what people use in their treat dispensing or puzzle toys.

We've got a rather active, 7-month-old Ridgeback puppy who tends to get left to his own devices in the yard for the first couple of hours in the day. I have to work and my partner has some chronic illnesses that mean she needs to sleep a lot in the morning.

Mouse loves his kongs, genie kongs, bob-a-lots... Anything that provides him with food, really. We usually smear cream cheese inside the kongs and have been using dried lamb treats, dried chicken liver, etc. for the treat dispensing toys but I'd love to hear what other raw feeders use/recommend.

-Sam
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 5:41pm PST 
your treats sound great.
I dont know if I'm one to be asked, I don't worry too much about Cookie's treats. I mean, I prefer healthy ones, but if I get some law quality treats for free or something, I still use them.. I think of them as candy. not good for her, but a little piece isn't going to hurt, especially when she's on a great raw diet.

as for treat dispensing toys.. I use tiny stars or old kibble. these two things have lasted such a long time that I haven't had to think too much about what else I could use.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 5:45pm PST 
My favorite Kong stuffers are raw ground beef and canned green tripe. Since those are pretty healthy, I don't mind stuffing a large Kong completely full. I freeze the Kong before giving it so it takes longer to empty, and the tripe doesn't stink when it's frozen.

I don't really use treat dispensing toys but I'd probably go with dehydrated liver, heart, chicken, beef, ect.
[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 6:02pm PST 
I feed non-raw treats in kongs: peanut butter, plain yogurt, honey, commercial treats, etc.

As long as these are TREATS (less than 10% of the daily diet), you shouldn't have to worry too much about it being consistent with raw. If you're really wanting to keep it raw, ground meats in a kong, then frozen work wonderfully.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 9:08pm PST 
I use peanut butter in kongs and bits of dried lung and such in treat balls. We may think it gets boring but I don't think the dogs get bored.

I have a number of different sized kongs, a couple of them are perfect to shove in the knobby ends of chicken feet, the larger ones can handle drumsticks. Maybe it is just Max but he chews down to the knob and then the knob is impossible to get out. Now that would be a long lasting chew! Some dogs can destroy kongs and it wouldn't be safe to leave a dog alone with one but it makes a perfect diabolical puzzle for my dog. Don't lose track of it, the stink would be amazing! At the moment ants would show me where it was though, I missed a fragment of bone a couple weeks ago and there was a superhighway of ants cleaning it up for me.

If your dog is fine with cooked and plant foods then go ahead and feed them if the treats are just treats. No need to ban something like pizza bones or commercial dog treats if they make you and your pup happy.
[notify]