GO!

Commercial, non-kibble alternative to raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Rosie

I love you- already!

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 6:36pm PST 
I personally don't feed raw (yet!) but I do feed Honest Kitchen. I've seen good results from it, but if you're worried about the meat, I would recommend the Preference, which comes with all the dry veggie and fruit ingredients, just without the meat (it is also a lot cheaper!) You could buy and cook the meat yourself and just add it in. It could be a faster version of home cooked as all you have to to is cook the meat.
There is another brand I have seen called Petsana, although I'm not sure whether or not the meat is cooked. I believe it's similar to the HK. Here's the website: http://www.mypetsana.com/

Good luck. way to go
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Sep 24, '12 2:33pm PST 
Grocery store meat is still going to be better than whatever is going into dog food. Unless you're exclusively buying dog foods that use all organic meat.

I would definitely home-cook. You have complete control over everything going on with her diet, not to mention it's going to be way easier for her to digest and utilize than a factory-processed food will be. It's also more sanitary - how many processed foods have been recalled for salmonella now? Plus the risk of bacteria growth while your bag sits, waiting to be used.

Fiber is generally really, really good for chemo patients - it's easy to digest, not too weird to eat, and helps move the chemo drugs through their system (just check with the dr to make sure the drugs should be moving through her system). Between that and the high price of boneless meat, I would just make a diet that is higher in fiber, lower in meat.

You'll likely run into quite a bit of feeding her whatever she feels like eating, too. I'd still have an ideal plan in place, but be prepared to deviate from it quite a bit.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 6:38am PST 
The dehydrated foods might be a good alternative: others are Sojo's and Addiction. As for getting off of raw, I think most vets are pushing people to not use raw, but I have heard from people with dogs that had cancer, that it prolonged their life span diagnosis. I also know of people that add turmeric to their cancer dogs diet. Mix it with a little milk so that the body can absorb it. Good luck.
[notify]

Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 10:25am PST 
I think it's important to remember that yes, some raw companies use HPP and other measures to kill bacteria, however after it leaves them, how the store and the consumer handles it also has an impact on the development of pathogens.

Have you considered something like Grandma Lucy's PureFormance? What about the new Instinct line that is kibble but has chunks of freeze dried raw in it?

EDITED TO ADD: Pureformance is basically a freeze dried stew as oppose to freeze dried raw.

Edited by author Thu Sep 27, '12 10:34am PST

[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 10:31am PST 
Grandma Lucy's Pureformance Rabbit:

Grandma Lucy’s PUREFORMANCE Pet Food:
•USA Originated Ingredients
•Grain-Free Recipes
•USDA Meat
•Human-Grade Ingredients
•Hormone and Antibiotic Free Meats
•No By-Products
•Tough Standards
•All Products Made in Our California Facility

Grandma Lucy’s PUREFORMANCE™ is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all-stages.

Ingredients: USDA Rabbit, Chickpeas, Flax, Carrots, Celery, Apples, Bananas, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Papaya, Spinach, Garlic, Rosemary, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Niacin, Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Potassium, Manganese, Chloride, Copper, Magnesium, Pyridoxine, Cyanocobalamin

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min): 36%

Crude Fat (min): 14%

Crude Fiber (max): 7.1%

Moisture (max): 6.8%

Calcium: 1%

Phosphorus: 0.48%

Magnesium: 0.15%

604 kcal/cup

Grandma Lucy's Pureformance Lamb

Grandma Lucy’s PUREFORMANCE Pet Food:
•USA Originated Ingredients
•Grain-Free Recipes
•USDA Meat
•Human-Grade Ingredients
•Hormone and Antibiotic Free Meats
•No By-Products
•Tough Standards
•All Products Made in Our California Facility

Grandma Lucy’s PUREFORMANCE™ is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all-stages.

Ingredients: USDA Lamb, Chickpeas, Flax, Carrots, Celery, Apples, Bananas, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Papaya, Spinach, Garlic, Rosemary, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Niacin, Iron, Calcium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Potassium, Manganese, Chloride, Copper, Magnesium, Pyridoxine, Cyanocobalamin

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min): 35%

Crude Fat (min): 15%

Crude Fiber (max): 7.5%

Moisture (max): 7.4%

Calcium: 1%

Phosphorus: 0.57%

Magnesium: 0.16%
608 kcal/cup

51 cups per 10lb bag

Feeding Instructions: Each serving of Grandma Lucy’s PUREFORMANCE™ should be rehydrated with 1 to 1 1/2 cups of warm water per 1 cup serving.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 7:10pm PST 
If one were to choose NOT to do chemo, I would agree that a PMR diet with low-glycemic veggies would be an ideal diet that could prolong or improve quality of life.

Chemo changes everything, though. Humans on chemo have to take the same over-the-top precautions, because it destroys your immune system. A dog on chemo definitely should not be eating raw meat.

As far as homecooking options... Why not just keep your raw sources but cook the meat? You'd have to make some changes as bone-in items won't be an option but otherwise it's pretty simple. Get some fiber and calcium in there and you're good to go.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3