GO!

Commercial, non-kibble alternative to raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 3:40pm PST 
So we have to stop using Instinct raw because Bianca is starting chemotherapy and the oncologist said no raw... I know this is the raw forum but was hoping maybe people have some ideas...

I might be getting a nutrition consult with a holistic vet if I can figure out how to afford it but I don't know if that will happen. So I am trying to see if there is something we can use that is not kibble and not raw? I would like to avoid kibble if we can, and am trying to find something that is as low carb as possible, grain free and it has to be no poultry as Bianca is allergic. So far the best I could find was Grandma Lucy's Pureformance Rabbit, I have fed it a little but Bianca has large stools with what looks like carrots and grain (tho the food is grain free) in them so I don't know how well she is digesting it...

So I'm looking for:
-non raw
-no grain
-no poultry
-low carbs

Any ideas?
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 4:01pm PST 
I thought instinct raw was already 'pressure' cooked in a way that killed bacteria etc. Which in my mind would make it even safer than kibble since kibble can still carry things like salmonella.

???

Can she have dehydrated raw?
[notify]

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 4:32pm PST 
I thought that too, but I told them I was feeding Instinct raw patties and they said we need to switch off of those if we want to do chemo (which we are now starting) and they said she can't have any raw during the chemotherapy...

I also asked my regular vet if she had any suggestions for foods, and she only suggested some kibbles (Instinct and Canine Caviar) and said to avoid the ones that use potato.

Someone suggested Honest Kitchen Preference since it doesn't have meat, you add your own so I could add cooked meat (if I can find a good source for meat) but the only problem I have is it has coconut and I've heard that is not good for dogs with cancer. thinking
[notify]

Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 4:41pm PST 
I would second the suggestion of Honest Kitchen. They have several formulas that are grain-free and poultry-free, but they do in fact have coconuts in them. I hadn't heard that that could be bad for cancer dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 4:53pm PST 
The other Honest Kitchen contains raw meat, though, except for Preference...
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 5:08pm PST 
Contains raw meat? I thought it was dehydrated? I dunno. shrug

ziwipeak might be an option? Bit pricey, but it doesn't have poultry..

lamb formula
Lamb - Meat (includes up to 3% finely ground bone)

Lamb - Liver, Lung, Tripe, Heart and Kidney
http://www.ziwipeak.com/products/cuisine/daily-dog-air-dried -cuisine/lamb/

venison formula
Venison - Meat (includes up to 3% finely ground bone)

Venison - Liver, Lung, Tripe, Heart and Kidney
http://www.ziwipeak.com/products/cuisine/daily-dog-air-dried -cuisine/venison/

venison and fish formula
Venison - Meat (includes up to 3% finely ground bone)

Hoki Fish

Venison - Liver, Lung, Tripe, Heart and Kidney
http://www.ziwipeak.com/products/cuisine/daily-dog-air-dried -cuisine/venison-and-fish/

It's air dried so not sure if you classify same as raw.. I still think dehydrated is cooked a bit not sure on air dried.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 5:50pm PST 
As far as I know Honest Kitchen is still considered raw, I thought Ziwipeak was as well but I don't know that much about it (anyway I don't think I could afford to feed Ziwipeak solely.)
[notify]
Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 6:51pm PST 
Why can't a dog be on a raw diet if they're gonna start chemo?
&
Why can't modern medicine find a healthier way to cure cancer?

I think that MONEY has a huge influence over the answer to
both of those questions and it really makes me very angry!!!

I wish Bianca a speedy recovery!
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 7:15pm PST 
I consider dehydrated "raw" to be cooked. The Honest Kitchen heats it to at least 165 degrees, which is cooked in my opinion. Dunno about the others, I haven't looked into them much.

I like Freshpet, a bit pricey, but they do have some varieties in their Vital line that have no poultry or grain in them. It's kinda like bologna for dogs in a roll that you slice up. My Shiba liked it a lot and did very well on it.

If it were me, I'd probably do cooked. There's ways to do it without grains or poultry.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 7:39pm PST 
I agree home cooking can work.

I've dehydrated chicken hearts in my oven 170F for 2hours then flip each heart then for two more hours and I checked and did for 2 more to be sure since it was still bit juicy.

I plan get a dehydrator soon so I can do more items at one time..

The chicken hearts had consistency of a cooked hot dog..

I like ziwipeak ingredient wise no veggies.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3