GO!

OH POO!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Presley- Dillon

People should- pet me more!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 2:19pm PST 
Presleys poop is almost always black, and he has been having diarhea more often lately. I have to feed him a whole chicken (half/morning & half/night) every 2nd or third day or his diarhea comes back...
I feed him 2lbs of beef,bone,liver/kidney in the morning (say Monday)and I repeat it that night for dinner. I feed him 2lbs pork,bone,liver/tripe in the morning (say tuesday)and I repeat it for dinner. I feed him half of a 4lb chicken in the morning (say wednesday) and the other half for dinner. I feed him sardines (water base only) or other fish once a week, and I repeat the process... Any suggestions????
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 2:34pm PST 
Organs will often digest into a black color because they are rich in vitamins/minerals, but also rich in blood. When blood digests, it turns black.

My dogs always have black poop after an organ meal. If you're feeding a good amount of organ every day, you may very well end up with black poop.

Are you still following the 80/10/5/5 guideline? Also, how long has Presley been eating raw?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 5:15pm PST 
Unless your GSD weighs about 200 pounds you probably could feed about half that amount if I am reading your post right - 2 pounds of food morning and 2 pounds of food at night?
[notify]

Presley- Dillon

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 12:56pm PST 
Yes, I am still feeding the prey model diet, and Presley has been on it for months now. I was feeding him 3lbs a day but he started losing weight about 3weeks ago so now I feed him 4lbs a day. He is 7 months old & he weighs 85lbs & growing... we guess he will weigh around 100lbs at a year old. He & I go to the park & excersize and train every day though, so maybe his caloric needs are higher?
Maybe I will back off the liver and kidney a bit and see if that helps... Do you agree?
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 1:59pm PST 
Sounds like a plan!

Also remember too large a meal can cause loose stool as well. If he needs that much food to maintain good condition then maybe he isn't ready for 2 meals a day despite his size and age. Loose stool means food isn't being digested properly and he won't maintain good condition. Feed even more because he isn't staying at a good weight and the stool gets even worse!

And large breed dogs are better off growing slow and lean as you already know. Pudgy pups are super cute but later in life they might be more apt to break down at a younger age.
[notify]
Presley- Dillon

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 6:01pm PST 
Thanx Maxwell & Charlie for taking the time to respond, Presley & I appreciate it very much!!
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 9:11pm PST 
Please keep us posted on what your adjustments are and what happens, okay?
[notify]
Presley- Dillon

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 10:16pm PST 
Sure thing Maxwell...

Thanx again!
[notify]