GO!

Absolutely mortified

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 9:14am PST 
After both of them ate, I took Mulder and Ridley out to go to the bathroom.

And Mulder went behind Ridley and ATE his poop.

I'm sick to my stomach... WHY would this happen? What deficiency would cause this??

He's never done this before, not with Sally's poop or his own... I'm shocked and disgusted...
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 10:11am PST 
silenced

wellll, sometimes dogs will eat poop just because it smells yummy, and not from any deficiency.
did they eat anything special for this poop?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 11:12am PST 
Well, yesterday morning they tore into a bad of kibble (Cal Nat, the grain free chicken one) that I'd picked up for a friend, it gave Ridley diarrhea so I fasted them both as a precaution for the rest of the day (Mulder is fine with eating kibble, but I didn't want to potentially deal with TWO dogs having the runs).

Morning meal was normal raw though, venison mixed in with what I had left of a box of honest kitchen.

I would understand if I'd let them out BEFORE eating... he would be hungry and might go for it... but this was about 20 mins AFTER he'd already eaten!
[notify]

Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 4:50pm PST 
yea, purty gross. :[

forgive me if I didn't follow, but maybe the kibble made the poop smell like something yummy. (considering kibble is full of preservatives and un-digestable matter that would make a lot of the 'goodness' come out the other end)

kibble is known to stay in the system longer, or maybe it just threw his system off and so the poop had some underlying difference to it that only your dog smelled. shrug

good luck, hope ur pup doesn't make a habit out of eating poop.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 5:33pm PST 
Yuck!

I've got a poop-eater here.
Farles doesn't eat other dogs' poop or his own poop, but he LOVES to eat the poop of other species. (Particularly deer, rabbits, horses and cows).

Prevent it and discourage it when it happens, but honestly I wouldn't get too worried about it becoming a habit or signs of a deficiency. It could have been a one-time thing. Something Ridley ate, or maybe Mulder just thought "hmmm I wonder what this tastes like"? laugh out loud
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 7:57pm PST 
Meh...sometimes dogs eat poop. It's called coprophagia. As long as it isn't a regular occurrence, I wouldn't worry about it. The biggest concern is parasites.

Duke occasionally munches on deer or rabbit droppings when we're in the woods. One time we were walking in an equestrian friendly park and he grabbed a huge mouthful of horse apples. It's not my favorite thing, but what are you gonna do?

My dear departed Jasper would occasionally eat other dogs' poop, but only in winter when they were frozen. Poopsicles.

Edited by author Sun Sep 16, '12 7:57pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 8:07pm PST 
Yeah, sometimes it does just happen. I used to know a dog who ate human poop (don't ask how he got to it.) Kraka the pit mix my mum had for a while loved kitty manna and he was raw fed, go figure. JT has hovered toward cow crap before.

The ones you really have to worry about are dogs who are gobbling it up as it comes out their own other end. That, I'm pretty sure, is a sign of deficiency.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 8:35pm PST 
JT laugh out loud I have to ask!

Mulder, Dr. Sophia Yin has a recent blog post about the behavior

http://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/coprophagia-the-scoop-on-poop- eating-in-dogs

smile
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Sep 16, '12 9:22pm PST 
Hicks poop in the woods. That's all I'll say.
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Sep 17, '12 6:15am PST 
Hmm, that's actually an interesting article... especially with the multiple dogs bit thinking

I'm still freaked out and disgusted, though. No Mulder kisses until he eats some turkey necks or something.

I can take the raw slime, but poop I CANNOT do! silenced
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2