GO!

Suppliments

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Fri Sep 14, '12 2:41pm PST 
Hello again,

So Bella still has somewhat of a problem with her skin, so I've been looking around at supplements, and decided to try some fish oil so I went out and bought some at the store. This is the kind I got: http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Valley-Fish-Vitamin-Softgels/dp/B005F5J 4UM I'm guessing these are fine? I don't know if the added D3 is ok.

I looked up dosage and got a lot of conflicting stuff. Some said for her weight (15 pounds give or take) she should have about a half a capsule, though others said about a capsule and a half. I want to make sure I'm not giving her too much, so I'm wondering what the correct dosage is.

While I was looking up dosage I also saw something about them needing vitamin E supplements if they are on fish oil. Does she need this? And if so how much should I give her?
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 8:49am PST 
Bumping this up.

With vitamin E fish oil deplete the vitamin E I think. Not sure how much.

Wouldn't feeding items naturally in vitamin e help with not needing to give vitamin E?

If you get vitamin E check it's ingredients to be sure it's naturel not the synthetic vitamin E.

Natural is d-alpha-tocopherol synthetic is dl-alpha-tocopherol

I had gotten the synthetic and found out when I opened it I just tossed it..

I don't give fish oil used to give grizzly salmon oil which was a pump and did do human fish oil on and off right now, but I only give one.

I'm not sure amount needed.
[notify]
Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 2:00pm PST 
I may be wrong, but I think some fish oil supplements have their own added vitamin E? I don;t know if your brand is one of those or not
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 10:54pm PST 
This is for dogs with arthritis, you don't need to use this much fish oil, I am posting the whole paragraph for context! A normal dose is 100 mg omega 3s per 10 pounds of dog.

"3. FISH OIL If I were to suggest any single nutritional supplement for dogs with arthritis, it would be fish oil (fish body oil, such as Salmon Oil or EPA oil, not cod liver oil). Fish oil provides omega-3 fatty acids that help reduce inflammation. They are beneficial no matter what type of diet you feed. Note that omega-3 fatty acids are fragile and break down quickly when exposed to light, heat or air, so just feeding a food that has omega-3 fatty acids added may not be helpful. Give as much as 1000 mg fish oil (300 mg EPA/DHA) per 10 lbs of body weight daily. Because fish oil depletes vitamin E in the body, you should also give vitamin E supplements whenever you supplement with oils of any kind. Give around 50 IUs to a small dog, 100 IUs to a medium sized dog, up to 200 IUs for a large dog, anywhere from daily to once or twice a week. See Fish Oil (Omega-3 Fatty Acids): a Proven Treatment for Canine Arthritis for information on two studies published in the JAVMA in 2010 showing how dogs with arthritis improve when given fish oil supplements."
http://dogaware.com/health/arthritis.html

I just make sure that Max gets the amount NRC suggests for his body weight and leave it at that.
[notify]
Bellatrix

Crazy Ball'O Fur

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 5:53pm PST 
Thanks everyone! big grin I'll be ordering this: http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-All-Natural-Supplement-Pump-Bottle-Dis penser/dp/B0002ABR6E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Any ideas on what vitamin E supplement brand I should get, and how much to give her?
[notify]